Guest speakers share dynamic career opportunities at PRSSA’s travel event

Matthew Brown
PRSSA Kent hosts the Dedication to the Destination through Travel & Tourism event on March 4, 2024 in Franklin Hall. The event serves as both a networking opportunity and a chance for students to learn from the experiences of public relations professionals.

The Public Relation Student Society of America(PRSSA) highlighted the unique aspects of public relations in the travel and tourism sector at an event Monday night. Four guest speakers from various careers in travel and tourism attended to give their unique perspective. 

Two of the speakers were in-person while the other two called in virtually. In person were Greg Willis, marketing and public relations manager of the Jacksonville Aviation Authority and Lexi Robinson, senior director of content and managing editor for Destination Cleveland. 

The two speakers who called in virtually were Meghan Caprez, communications manager at Walt Disney World and Heena Chavda, general manager at Delta Air Lines. 

The event was run by PRSSA member Macy Rosen, a senior public relations major who began by asking the speakers how they thought public relations was different in travel and tourism. 

Willis began and said the variety in his job was why he got into public relations. 

“You’re selling an experience rather than a product.” Willis said. “I like the airport because it’s such a dynamic environment. It’s different everyday but that’s what I love.”

Caprez also cited how meaningful it was to create great experiences for guests at Disney. 

“There are so many people who care so deeply about our brand and our company. It is our privilege to protect that brand coverage,” she said.

Rosen asked each of the speakers for memorable experiences they have had. 

Caprez jumped in to express how much of a dream it was to work at Disney and discussed how she came to Disney in a professional role immediately after graduating from Kent. 

“Being part of the Disney cast life has been a dream of mine,” she said. “I did a lot of the networking and the Disney College Program helped me get where I am today.”

Lexi Hotchkiss, senior director of content and managing editor at Destination Cleveland, speaks about her experiences on the field of public relations during the PRSSA Dedication to the Destination through Travel & Tourism event on March 4, 2024. She was joined by Greg Willis (left), alongside Meghan Caprez and Heena Chavda who participated through video call. (Matthew Brown)

Certain questions were directed at specific speakers to get their unique insight. Rosen asked Robinson for advice she has on reaching people in tourism and about how she framed her job around people. 

Robinson said it was important to distinguish between audiences and to cater to each of those groups individually. 

“Know thy audience, know what is my purpose,” she said. “Sometimes it’s not the sexiest thing, sometimes it’s an article about the top 10 things to do in Cleveland. And a TikTok audience is different from a Facebook audience.”

Rosen asked how each speaker has responded to ethical issues in their career. Chavda talked about the issues faced by Delta in recent years. 

“From an environmental perspective, jet fuel is such a big issue. Human trafficking is such a big issue too, especially in Atlanta,” she said. “We’re looking into diversifying. It goes back to storytelling, what are you doing to bring attention to that issue or mitigate it.”

Willis also pointed out the importance of maintaining personal ethics through daily business. 

“You have to maintain your personal code of ethics throughout your interactions,” he said.

Rosen ended the panel by asking what each of the speakers looked for when they hired interns. 

All of the speakers stressed the importance of networking when looking for a job, but each had their own philosophies on what they wanted from an intern. 

Robinson said she enjoyed when interns could handle themselves as well as present themselves authentically. 

“I love interns that really take the bull by the horns and just own things,” Robinson said. “In the interview process, you can always tell when someone is not really being themselves. If we’re going to work together I want to know you and I want you to be authentic.”

Rosen finished the event by opening the floor for students to ask questions to the speakers.  

In an interview after the event, Robinson spoke about how rewarding public relations was, but said that the tourism industry was unstable. 

“It’s always changing and it’s highly competitive and it’s really fickle. We all have to get very, very competitive with one another and you have to lean into affordability and budgeting and that sort of thing.” Robinson said. 

She also said her experience at Kent State had set her up for success in her career path. 

“What you gain and can see and do is incredible and it sets you apart. It will set you apart from your peers and it still does for me today,” Robinson said. “[The public relations] program is very, very good, and it shows up in its graduates.”

Andrew Bowie is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].