Best since 2002: Women’s basketball secures MAC Championship

The Kent State women’s basketball team defeated Buffalo 78-60 to win its first Mid-American Conference Tournament since 2002.

This is coach Todd Starkey’s first tournament championship at Kent State. 

In the only matchup this season, KSU defeated the Bulls 67-59 on March 2. Buffalo forward Cheillia Watson was held to 17 points on 4-of-17 shooting. Shumate led the Flashes with 16 points and grabbed a game-high 13 rebounds. 

Watson entered the MAC Championship as the nation’s No. 5 scorer, averaging 23 points per game. KSU’s defense is third in the conference, allowing 62 points per game. 

Kent State had four players score in double figures: redshirt senior guard Katie Shumate (18), junior forward Jenna Batsch (14), sophomore guard Dionna Gray (14) and graduate student center Mikala Morris (11). 

The Flashes started the game on a 9-2 scoring run, as the Bulls started the game 0-for-5 from the field. UB ended the quarter converted on four of its next eight shots, and the score after 10 minutes of play was 20-15.

After starting the second quarter, making their first field goal, the Flashes missed their next nine shot attempts as the Bulls went on a 13-5 scoring run.

Watson connected on two shots from behind the arc, including one at the buzzer, as Buffalo took a 34-30 lead into halftime. 

KSU started the second half, converting on three of its first four attempts, starting an 11-3 scoring run to take a 41-37 lead. 

Over the finale seven minutes of the third quarter, Shumate poured in eight points as the Flashes took a 59-47 lead into the final quarter. 

Buffalo started the fourth quarter, shooting 5-of-8; however, the Flashes limited the Bulls to one made field goal in the final four minutes to clinch a berth in the NCAA Tournament.

Kent State shot 47% from the field and 9-of-25 from behind the arc. The Bulls shot 39% from the field and 9-of-21 from behind the arc.

KSU outscored the Bulls in the paint 36-26 and on second-chance points 21-6. 

Kent State will await its next opponent in the NCAA tournament, as the bracket will revealed Sunday night.

Jacob Shondel is sports editor. Contact him at [email protected].