Students prepare to vote in upcoming primary election

Asha Blake
The polling locations had areas for voters to keep their decisions private.

Students across campus are preparing to vote in the upcoming primary election on Tuesday. The primary election has begun to determine who the candidates representing each party will be in anticipation of the upcoming presidential election this November.

Ohio, along with four other states, hold their primary election March 19,  but many other states have already held their primary. Though both former President Donald Trump and President Joe Biden have secured the amount of delegates needed to be their respective party’s nominees, the presidential primary is still going on throughout the country. 

“I do think voting on a local level is very impactful because that’s really the people doing the grassroots work,” freshman political science major Mallory Good said.

She said that even though the nominees for president are already known, she still plans to vote. 

“I’ve heard quite a bit about the upcoming primary elections both on TikTok and Instagram, and also in political science areas I run in,” Good said. “So I do think there’s a lot of disillusionment right now with young people with both the Democratic and Republican nominees.”

Due to dissatisfaction with both party’s candidates, some voters are choosing to vote for third party candidates. 

“I am probably going to vote third party or vote for one of the runner ups in the Democratic [Party], just because I don’t agree with Biden’s handling of the situation in the Middle East,” Good said. 

Connor Piotrowski, a sophomore integrated mathematics major, plans to vote either by mailing his ballot or by going back home to cast his vote in person. 

“I really just want to find some peace within it, but currently I do not know how to feel about voting due to both of the candidates that it looks like it’s lining up to not being good,” Piotrowski said. 

Many students plan on voting in the election any way they can. Freshman nursing major Jalissa Lee said she is excited to vote in the upcoming primary. “Wherever they’re offering, I’ll vote there,” Lee said, concerning where on campus she plans to vote.

“It’s definitely a tough decision to vote right now and who to vote for, but I also do believe very strongly that voting is a civic responsibility, even when the options are not phenomenal,” Good said.

Talia Milewich is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].