Softball extends win streak to seven

Sara House
Kent State softball team rings the bell after a victory against Youngstown on March 13, 2024.

The Kent State softball team swept all three games against Manhattan in Riverdale, New York. 

The Flashes (14-8) outscored Manhattan 19-2 over the weekend.  

Game 1

The first inning of the game went quiet. 

In the top of the second inning, doubles by graduate student Julia Mazanec and sophomore Brynn Libler put the Flashes up 1-0. 

Graduate student Alexandria Whitmore hit her first triple of the season in the top of the third inning and scored a sac fly by sophomore Bri Despines, putting the Flashes up 2-0.

Sophomore Macy Irelan pitches in the game against Youngstown on March 13, 2024. (Sara House)

In the top of the fifth inning, the Flashes extended their lead to 5-0 when junior Delaney Robeson and junior Savannah Wing hit home runs. 

Despines claimed the final run in the top of the sixth with a double. 

Game 2

The Flashes started off 1-0 in the top of the first inning after Mazanec scored a double. 

Manhattan scored in the bottom of the second.

Freshman Megan Nuechterlein retired the next twelve batters with five strikeouts. 

Senior Emily Lippe launched two home runs for the team. 

The fifth inning brought the Flashes three more runs with a two-run double by Wing and a sac fly from sophomore Carley Penner. 

Lippe ended the scoring in the seventh inning with another two-run blast run. 

Game 3

In the Flashes’ last game, they beat Manhattan 4-1.

Freshman Ella Esterby retired the first seven batters she faced. 

The Flashes left Manhattan scoreless until the fourth inning, while they scored early in the top of the first inning.

Kent State Golden Flash Julia Mazanec swings in a game against Youngstown on March 13, 2024. (Sara House)

Whitmore hit a single and stole second before scoring on a double by Wing. Despines followed with a walk, and both would score after three consecutive singles by Mazanec, Penner and Libler.

The Flashes scored their final time in the top of the seventh inning. Lippe started with a single, and her pinch runner was retired by Mazanec, who scored on a two-out double by Libler. 

Outstanding individuals 

Head coach Jessica O’Donnell pointed out some individuals that contributed to the teams success this past weekend. 

Graduate Student infielder Alexandria Whitmore 

“She had a really good weekend offensively,” O’Donnell said. “I think she finished hitting 500 on the week and played really well.”

She made lots of moves on the field.

“She just found a way to get on base and make some things happen,” O’Donnell said. 

Sophomore pitcher Macy Irelan

“She worked herself out of some battles,” O’Donnell said. “She really had a nice week pitching wise and just a nice job of attacking batters.” 

Coming up

Bri Despines runs down the baseline to first base after hitting the ball in the game against Youngstown on March 13, 2024. (Sara House)

The team will head to Muncie, Indiana, to play its first Mid-American Conference game against Ball State. 

“When it comes to a conference game, it’s really where it all matters,” O’Donnell said. “We have to be good in every single area. Offensively, defensively and pitching-wise. That’s what it takes to win MAC games.” 

Robyn Taylor is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected]