BOK ’24: Best off-campus housing

Yinxi Li
University Townhomes at 1898 E. Summit, Kent, Ohio.

FIRST: University Townhomes On a sunny, warm day, Grayson Denby looks forward to her walks to and from campus along Summit Street — and her “beautiful” journey starts at her University Townhomes apartment.  

“That’s my favorite memory of being in Townhomes,” she said. “There’s so many geese around, and there’s a ton of grass and trees. The surrounding areas are so pretty.”

Exterior of one of the townhomes at University Townhomes. (Yinxi Li)

The junior psychology major has lived at the complex, located at 1898 E. Summit St. near Dix Stadium, for about a year and said she will be living there next year. 

University Townhomes offers four, five and single bedroom options, with in-unit washers and dryers. Each apartment home comes with 2.5 bathrooms, a full kitchen and a private patio. 

Monthly rates start at $559 per person, and utilities are included. 

Denby highlighted the complex’s proximity to the Rec Center, along with its maintenance help. 

“Maintenance is really good here,” she said. “If something’s not working or needs to be replaced, they’ll be on it right then. They’re ready to help, so we won’t ever have to worry.”​​

University Townhomes can be reached at 330-578-1200.

SECOND: 345 Flats345 Flats is a five-minute walk to campus and to downtown Kent, which makes it a “fantastic” complex for students and community members to live in, according to Leasing and Marketing Manager Macy Schultz. 

“We are always dedicated to helping our residents and guarantors, making sure they’re happy,” Schultz said. “We just want to make an amazing experience for everybody who tours here, signs a lease here or even just visits to see the property.”

Residents can use the complex’s 24-hour business center, lounge and fitness center and they can park in the building’s covered lot.

Exterior of 345 Flats located on 345 S Depeyster St, Kent, Ohio. (Yinxi Li)

There are studio, one-, two- and four-bedroom apartments available, and all units are fully furnished, have walk-in closets and can connect to the complex’s Wi-Fi. Not all rooms come with a private bathroom. 

Schultz said the building’s “pride and joy” is its maintenance team.  

“They are fantastic,” she said. “A resident typically does not have to wait more than 48 hours if not 24 to have their maintenance request completed.”

Monthly rates for the 345 S. Depeyster St. complex start at $820 per person. All utilities, excluding electric, are included, and monthly parking rates for the complex’s several nearby lots vary.   

Those interested in learning more can contact 345 Flats at 330-423-6586.

THIRD: The Province All apartments at The Province, located at 609 S. Lincoln St., come fully-furnished with in-unit washers and dryers, walk-in closets and private bathrooms — and some feature an attached deck. 

Two-year resident Kat Musselman’s deck has brought her and her roommates countless memories.   

“My roommates and I will eat our meals out there when it’s nice,” said the senior communications major, who has renewed her lease for next year, “and when we have friends over, we always hang out there.”

Musselman said she likes how spacious the apartments are and how close the complex is to campus. Leasing options include studio, one-, two-, three- and four-bedroom apartments, with units across from the Business Building.

Main office of The Province located on 609 S Lincoln St, Kent, Ohio. (Yinxi Li)

The complex community has a fitness center, pool and movie theater, among other amenities, and there is community-wide Wi-Fi.   

Monthly rates start at $800 per person. Parking is free for residents. 

“The Province-Kent is more than just a place to live,” said Makenna Powers, The Province’s leasing and marketing manager. “We offer a lifestyle to residents who want to make the most of their college careers and beyond. A home like ours is hard to find, and we are grateful and humbled that our residents agree.”

To find out more, contact The Province at 330-752-1101.

Isabella Schreck is editor-in-chief. Contact her at [email protected].