BOK ’24: Best date spot (winner feature)

Yinxi Li
Attendees of the Haymakers Farmers Market peruse the various products up for sale on Feb. 17, 2024.

FIRST: Haymaker Farmers’ Market

The year-round Haymaker Farmers’ Market, which is open weekly on Saturday mornings downtown, creates community — according to vendor Emily Starcher. 

Close-up of fruits being displayed at the Haymakers Farmers Market. Feb. 17, 2024
(Yinxi Li)

Starcher has been a vendor at the market for 12 years and currently has a stand selling her homemade soaps with her brand Emily’s Soaps. She said she often sees couples strolling through the market on Saturdays.

“For relationships and new people coming in, especially for new couples, it’s a good, authentic place to just come and be together but get to do your own thing,” she said. “It’s like the Saturday morning thing. It feels like they all come through at like 10 or 11 and they’re on their way to Over Easy or something.” 

Director of Haymaker Farmers’ Market Andrew Rome agreed couples often come to visit the market, walk around and look at the variety of products the vendors provide.

“I see people come to the market primarily for being social,” he said. “People come to see their market friends and be together in the community, as well as to get delicious food.”

The scene

In the winter months, from December to March, the farmer’s market is indoors in the Unitarian Universalist Church of Kent at 217 N. Mantua St. For the rest of the season, the market takes place outside on Franklin Ave. under the Haymaker overpass between Main St. and Summit St. 

“Especially at the outdoor season, when we’re in downtown Kent, you’ll see people walking through the market holding hands, and they’re there to have a good time more than to grocery shop,” Rome said.

The market has a variety of products sold by the vendors to browse through, including soaps, honey, fresh produce, baked goods and freshly roasted coffee. Local live musicians perform at the market weekly, giving a little concert experience for the browsing customers.

Rome said there are several aspects that make the market a great place for a date.

“It’s free, there’s live music, there’s delicious food and there’s friendly people,” he said.

Starcher said in the past few years, the market has increasingly become a more popular date spot, especially for college students. 

“In the last three to four years, the amount of 20-year-olds that are coming through the market is overwhelming,” she said. “Most vendors think, ‘Oh, they’re 20, so they’re just traipsing through,’ but no. They are spending money and they’re actually doing this together, and it’s really, really neat.” 

The options

The market also offers a unique option for a date spot compared to more typical spots like bars or restaurants, Rome said. 

“I think maybe a stereotypical date spot, to go to a nightlife bar or whatever, that’s great in Kent, but there’s a lot more going on in Kent,” Rome said. “The farmer’s market offers a different option.”

Hand soaps from Hazel’s Soapery, owned by Camille Brown, for sale at the framer’s market held in the DI Hub on Feb. 20, 2024. (Abigail Kress)

Since the market is an open area and in a public place, Starcher said it also makes a great place for a first date.

“It’s a nice, public place to get to know somebody because you can have a good chat throughout the market, but then new things come up,” she said.

For couples that have been together for a while, the market may also be a great place to go and think about their future.

“It’s neat because the market is a cool place for couples to dream as well like, ‘Oh my god, wouldn’t it be so cool to have our own farm one day?’” Starcher said.

Going to the farmer’s market can lead to making friends and other activities within the community, according to Starcher.

“It’s like that first, ‘Hey, let’s go to the market,’ and then you see other friends, and then you make other plans,” she said. “That’s my favorite thing.”

Haymaker Farmers’ Market can be contacted at (330)-422-8314.

Addison Foreman is a general assignment editor. Contact her at [email protected].