BOK ’24: Best shopping

FIRST: Off the Wagon

Off the Wagon’s selection of board games and stuffed animals and its nostalgic aura invites customers of all ages to shop.

Michael Doerge, the assistant manager of Off the Wagon, said its array of products is often popular amongst customers.

Outside of Off the Wagon, located in Acorn Alley. (Brittany Lucia)

“We have a really wide selection of different types of things, like, you know it’s a toy store, but we have gaming for adults like board games, like [role playing games],” Doerge said. “But we also have kids’ games, board games, more traditional toy store stuff.”

A popular product many come to Off the Wagon for are the Jellycats, said freshman marketing major Ava Murak. She came to the store to purchase a coffee cup Jellycat, a brand of stuffed animals ranging from food items to animals.

“I like coming [to Off the Wagon] for the Jellycats and they have a lot of cute little knickknacks,” Murack said.

One customer, Josie Giguere, said while walking around downtown, the window display of Jellycats piqued her interest and drew her into the store.

“I got really excited and now I’m looking at everything else,” Giguere said.

Other customers like Ron Malczynski said the store offers a nostalgic feel which older customers can enjoy while shopping with their kids.

“[Because] if they’re parents of students here, we can relate to some of the stuff because we grew up with some of it,” Malczynski said. “Kind of reminds you of your childhood.”

Located in Acorn Alley at 152 E. Main St., Off the Wagon can be reached at 330-474-1330.

SECOND: Dirty Skate Company

Dirty Skate Company, located at 223F N. Water St., not only fosters a community for skaters of all ages but also creates a safe environment for anyone who wants to learn how to skateboard.

Founded in 2020, the store was born out of co-owner Matthew McMinn’s love of skateboarding as the store is named after him and store manager Josh Wilson’s nicknames, said Sherri McMinn, a store co-owner.

Outside of Dirty Skate Co. found on 223F N. Water St, Kent, Ohio. (Brittany Lucia)

“The shop name itself is a homage to that brotherhood. They were known as the Dirty Skate Crew and the shop is Dirty Skate Company,” Sherri McMinn said. “It’s kind of a way for them to all come home.”

The store differs from other skate stores, like Zumiez, a chain of skateboard stores, as it allows for shoppers to receive advice and hands-on help with learning to skateboard and fixing their boards, Sherri McMinn said.

Matthew McMinn said the purpose of opening the store was to give the Kent community a similar experience he and Wilson had growing up skateboarding.

“The main purpose was to give back to the local Kent community that same experience I had,” he said. “Having a local skate shop you can go to … to hang out at and a safe place you can talk to everybody.” 

THIRD: Last Exit Books and Coffeehouse

Last Exit Books and Coffeehouse offers a shopping experience filled with a wide selection of books and other products shoppers of all ages can enjoy.

Cassady Troyer-Schnippel, manager of Last Exit, said the store tries to cater to everyone with its selection of books, recorders and CDs.

The store is able to create a unique experience for shoppers with each room of the store being able to control its own music, Troyer-Schnippel said.

“Whoever’s working gets to choose their own music and we get to create a nice atmosphere for the shoppers and also for the people who are sitting down studying,” she said.

Lily Wojcik, a junior nursing major, said she enjoyed coming to the store to work on homework as the employees and atmosphere prompted her to frequent the store.

Last Exit Books & Coffee is not only a great study spot for students, but also a great place to get a used book. They are located at 124 E Main St #1, Kent, OH. Shown is some of there selection April 1st, 2024. (Brittany Lucia)

“I think the workers are super nice, too. They’re sweet,” Wojcik said. “I like how they gave us little mugs, I think it’s really cute. I really like it here.”

Bill Finley, a co-owner of Lucci’s Place, said owner of Last Exit Jason Merlene has done well with the atmosphere of the store and the selection of books as both have caused him to return to the store.

“[Merlene] got a great assortment of books that are all in great shape,” Finley said. “[Merlene] keeps up to date on everything and a lot of the kids have found a place to study here and so forth.”

Those interested in visiting can find Last Exit Books and Coffeehouse at 124 E. Main St. or call 330-677-4499.

Adriana Gasiewski is a beat reporter. Contact her at [email protected].