BOK ’24: Best Mexican food

Yinxi Li
Exterior of Taco Tontos, located at 123 Franklin Ave.

FIRST: Taco Tontos

What started as a tiny food truck in the ‘70s run by a man nicknamed “Tonto” in downtown Kent, Taco Tontos keeps customers coming back 52 years later with its customizable baked burritos, Ohio craft beers and relaxed atmosphere. 

“We have never ever considered ourselves an ‘authentic’ Mexican restaurant,” said Kevin Yohn, who is co-owner with his wife, Emily, and has worked at the restaurant for 22 years. “We just make authentically great food. We make super great and unique daily specials that you seriously can’t find anywhere near us.”

Taco Tontos, located at 123 Franklin Ave., has an array of different tacos, tostadas, enchiladas and burritos to choose from.

Carla Thigpen, a junior business management major, said her go-to order is the brunch burrito with maple bacon.

“What keeps me going back is the customer service,” Thigpen said. “Everyone who works there is very nice, and I also love the changing menu and the fact that I can always try something different when I’m there.”

Yohn, who has been in the restaurant industry since he was 14 years old, said the Kent community has fueled the business all these years. 

“Thank you all for voting for us,” Yohn said. “Being the best of anything is not what drives us to do what we do, but it certainly feels great to be appreciated.”

Taco Tontos is open Tuesday through Saturday from 11 a.m. – 9 p.m. and can be reached at 330-677-0223.

SECOND: Barrio

From the paintings and decor covering nearly every wall to the build-your-own tacos and bottomless chips, Barrio continues to be a hotspot for college students and locals.

“I keep coming back because it’s affordable, and they have really good salsa and chips,” said Lucas Spencer, a senior music major.

Patrons enjoy lunch at Barrio on April 1, 2024. (Cadie Pierce)

The taco chain came to 295 S. Water Street in 2019 and has a variety of taco combinations, tequila, whiskey and other drinks. 

“Our menu, for sure, does set us apart from the other people,” said Dane Kobik, assistant general manager and Kent State alum. “We have a lot of options, especially for the vegetarian and vegan people who like to eat with those restrictions. We have a lot of alcoholic and non-alcoholic options with our mocktails as well, so we just try to serve as many people as we can and cater to all needs.”

With more than 50 different tequilas and whiskeys offered and a new late-night happy hour, the tables at Barrio are always full.

“As one of our locations in Kent, it does mean a lot to have the business of the students from the school, especially to vote us at this high of a ranking, so that is very appreciated,” Kobik said.

Barrio is open Monday through Sunday and can be reached at 330-968-6118.

THIRD: La Terraza

Located at 31888 on State Route 59, La Terraza offers a menu full of fajitas, enchiladas, burritos and other classic Mexican dishes.

“Our margaritas and specialty food items, like our burritos and gourmet chimichangas, are all top-sellers,” said manager Oscar Brito, who started working at the restaurant in November.

La Terraza’s variety of specialty margaritas include the blue nectar margarita, skinny margarita and cucumber margarita.

Patrons enjoy lunch at La Terraza on April 1, 2024. (Cadie Pierce)

“The restaurant has a very relaxing atmosphere and the servers and customers are always fun to interact with,” Brito said.

Clara Hubbard, a senior fashion design major, said she dines in at least once a month and always orders the quesadilla verde with chips and queso.

“What keeps me coming back is the food,” Hubbard said. “It’s the best Mexican food I’ve had, and I’ve never had the food and thought it didn’t meet my expectations.”

La Terraza is open Monday through Sunday and can be reached at 330-677-5500.

Aden Graves is a co-opinion editor. Contact him at [email protected].

View Comments (2)