BOK ’24: Best sweet treat

The+front+counter+of+Insomnia+Cookies+is+located+on+295+S.+Water+St+Kent%2C+Ohio.+
Emma Van Winkle
The front counter of Insomnia Cookies is located on 295 S. Water St Kent, Ohio.

FIRST: Insomnia Cookies 

Students looking for late-night sweet treats find a perfect match with Insomnia Cookies, which is open after midnight every day. 

Whether they’re staying up late to study or already having fun downtown, Insomnia Cookies offers students yummy desserts when it is most needed.

Insomnia Cookies are known for their warm cookies that offer a variety of flavors and dietary options, this photo was take on Wednesday, March 20 2024. Insomnia Cookies is located on 295 S. Water St Kent, Ohio. (Emma Van Winkle)

Adrianna Gebhart, a senior visual communication design major and shift leader at Insomnia Cookies, said people in the community appreciate the convenience of the bakery’s hours and location. 

“We’re open late at night after the bars are closed, so everyone just kind of piles in,” Gebhart said. “They’re looking for something sweet to eat and we’re here to accommodate that.” 

Founded in 2003 by Seth Berkowitz, a college student at the time, the bakery serves as a nationwide chain, currently at 240 locations. 

The menu consists of a variety of cookie flavors, including classics like chocolate chunk and larger-sized cookies like oatmeal chocolate walnut. Customers can order other sweet treats from the bakery as well.  

“We’ve got everything you could hope and dream of,” Gebhart said. “We’ve got cookies, pop, ice cream, anything your heart desires.” 

As for why Insomnia Cookies is popular with university students, Gebhart said the reasons are simple. 

“We’re quick and we’re yummy,” Gebhart said. 

Those looking for a cookie or more can find Insomnia Cookies at 295 S. Water St. or call 330-694-7024. 

SECOND: Rocco’s Cupcake Café 

Started by a Kent State alumna, Michela Rocco, Rocco’s Cupcake Café brings a homemade feel to the sweet treat selection in downtown Kent. 

Rocco opened the bakery in February 2023, and said she wanted to provide fresh desserts for the community. 

“We differ from a lot of bakeries in that we bake fresh every morning,” Rocco said. “We never sell day-old cupcakes, we never freeze anything, so we always have a really great fresh product. I think that our customers recognize that and really appreciate it.” 

Rocco said she created the bakery in hopes of providing a friendly atmosphere for people looking for baked goods to stay and relax in.

Rocco’s Cupcake Cafe offers a variety of in house made cupcakes, this photo was taken on Wednesday, March 20 2024. Rocco’s Cupcake Cafe is located on 295 S. Water St. Kent, Ohio. (Emma Van Winkle)

“It’s just a really chill place to come hang out with your friends, have a cup of coffee and eat a cupcake,” Rocco said. 

Rocco’s Cupcake Café serves 12 different flavored cupcakes each day: 10 being everyday flavors, one being cupcake of the month and another a new flavor of the day. 

Rocco said having loyal customers who enjoy eating the variety of cupcakes and spending time at the bakery is what makes owning a business in Kent special. 

“I just feel very honored and very grateful to be a part of the Kent community, and that people recognize that we are a part of the community and that we love serving them,” Rocco said. 

Rocco’s Cupcake Café is located at 295 S. Water St. Suite 108 and can be reached at 330-548-9454. 

THIRD: Ming’s Bubble Tea 

For those looking for a drink-focused treat, Ming’s Bubble Tea offers a variety of sweet options. 

Grace Ellis, a junior criminology and justice studies major, said the fresh quality of the tea is their favorite part of Ming’s Bubble Tea. 

“The tea is tasty,” Ellis said. “I always go to Ming’s when I’m in need of a pick me up.” 

Ellis also said they enjoy the atmosphere the business presents, as well as the diverse menu of other various treats.  

“I love the entire feeling of the café,” Ellis said. “As soon as you walk in, you’re met with the smell of their homemade waffles.” 

Ming’s Bubble Tea pick up station for beverages this photo was taken on Wednesday, March 20 2024. Ming’s Bubble Tea is located at 1699 E Main St Kent, Ohio. (Emma Van Winkle)

This small business was opened in 2016 by Ming Xie, a foreign national military veteran, after his wife Yueming Dong suggested the idea. Together the pair works to bring authenticity to their menu and foster a welcoming environment.

Ming’s Bubble Tea has decorative elements spread throughout the store, and Ellis said the wall of post-it notes left by different patrons specifically stands out as endearing. 

“I love looking at each one wondering the story behind each of the little drawings or messages,” Ellis said. 

Located at 1699 E. Main St., Ming’s Bubble Tea can be contacted at 330-968-6074.

Kayla Gleason is a beat reporter. Contact her at [email protected].