BOK ’24: Best restaurant

Cadie Pierce
Ray’s Place at 135 Franklin Street in downtown Kent serves lunch and dinner, along with drinks on March 22, 2024.

FIRST: Ray’s Place

Open since 1937, Ray’s has been a mainstay for Kent residents for decades. 

The restaurant offers classic bar foods, such as a variety of burgers and chicken wings, but they also have some more unique offerings, such as a stir fry dinner and homemade meatloaf. 

Ray’s is unique as it attracts families and college students alike, with its wide variety of meals and drinks. 

Upon visiting Ray’s, patrons will be greeted with customers of all ages, as their offerings and atmosphere attract all. 

“What sets us apart is our longevity in the town,” said Kayla Allen, a manager at Ray’s Place, “There’s a generational love of Ray’s.”  

One of their most iconic dishes is “The Mo-Fo,” a double bacon cheeseburger locals enjoy, and featured on the food network show “The Best Thing I Ever Ate.”

Located in downtown Kent, Ray’s Place can be found at 135 Franklin Ave. or reached at 330-673-2233.

SECOND: Mike’s Place

Bright colors, signs and large props, like a replica X-Wing Fighter from Star Wars, are what customers are welcomed to when they approach Mike’s Place, located at 1700 S. Water St. 

Also on the outside, an ice cream truck, a school bus and a small castle, complete with a drawbridge are all sights at Mike’s Place.

Mike’s Place / The Kent Stater (Debonaire Wright)

Inside of the eatery, its quirky decor sets it apart, complete with everything from colorful flags and movie posters painting the walls to stranded lights hanging from the ceiling. 

“What makes us special is how unique we are, the crazy and different themes,” said Cody Kostensky, an employee and owner’s son. 

Customers can even sit in a booth inside a small trolley replica, but the decor is not the only thing bringing customers back. 

Mike’s offers an extensive menu with uniquely named offerings like “I Stole This From a Chain Restaurant”, which is popcorn chicken and corn on mashed potatoes and “I Am So Confused But I Like It”, a sandwich consisting of gyro meat, corn beef, swiss cheese and bleu cheese dressing

“Our insanely large menu is definitely something to come see,” said Kostensky. 

Call Mike’s Place at 330-673-6501.

THIRD: Belleria 

Belleria, an Italian restaurant downtown, located at 135 E. Erie St. Suite 202, offers pizzas, pastas and other Italian dishes.

Sarah Howell, a frequent customer, said “It’s the best pizza in town.”

Front entrance of Belleria’s (Yinxi Li)

From a simple pepperoni pie to “The Bella,” a pizza topped with pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, bell peppers and choice of black olives or onions, Belleria provides an array of choices. 

Those still with room in their stomachs can ponder the desserts, such as cheesecake, cannolis or pizza fritta, dough deep fried and rolled in sugar or cinnamon sugar with icing.

Outside of the food quality and menu options, the employees and atmosphere draws in customers. 

“If it wasn’t for my staff, we wouldn’t be close to the top three,” said Tom Gavozzi, the owner of Belleria. “I have the best staff in Kent and I couldn’t ask for anything better.” 

The eatery also offers outdoor sitting for when the weather warms up and can enjoy the sights and sounds of downtown Kent.

Those interested in calling Belleria, call 330-678-6000.

Ava Branz is an opinion writer. Contact her at [email protected].