Kent welcomes veteran firefighter as new fire chief

James Samels served 27 years with the Kent Fire Department before his appointment as fire chief on Jan. 22, 2024. Courtesy the Kent Fire Department.

On Jan. 22, 2024, Kent appointed James Samels as the city’s new fire chief. 

With 27 years of service in the Kent Fire Department, his experience played a big role in his appointment. Samels succeeded Bill Myers, who retired last year after 34 years with the department.

Samels previously served as the shift lieutenant running emergency calls, the shift captain and oversaw the fire inspection office. 

“So as chief, you know I have a sense of responsibility to ensure we continue to meet that standard.”

As he assumes his new role, Samels said he faces a few challenges, including aging equipment and budget constraints. He expressed the urgent need to replace an old tower truck, critical for high-rise rescues, especially at Kent State University, with costs soaring around $2 million for a new truck.

“We are planning to replace an older 1994 tower truck, a 100-foot ladder truck, with a newer one,” Samels said. “One of its primary uses is protecting Kent State University because Kent State has high buildings that would need a high ladder truck to reach them.”

Samels highlighted the department’s commitment to fire prevention education, working closely with the university on initiatives such as sorority and fraternity fire safety classes and guiding businesses on fire emergency preparedness.

“In education, they cooperate with Kent State fire safety services to offer sorority and fraternity fire safety seminars.”

Samels offered some fire tips and advice to the residents, stressing the significance of situational awareness, a message pertinent to students who live both on campus and off campus where he highlighted that fires often start when students look away while cooking.

“They should make sure that they know two safe ways out of the building and they should exit the building until they know or are told that there’s nothing wrong,” Samels said. “I think that’s very important, especially when you’re in a high-rise building like Tri-Towers.”

Ignatius Ogbu is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].