Akron’s ‘A Christmas Carol’ to feature cast of Kent State students, faculty

Christmas+carol

Christmas carol

Kassandra Kaczmarek

Rubber City Theatre’s production of the famous Charles Dickens tale “A Christmas Carol” will feature some Kent State students and faculty.

The play, which is based off the British novel published by Dickens in 1843, tells the story of Ebenezer Scrooge, a greedy old miser who is visited by ghosts for a journey of self-redemption. It is the second time the show will be played at the theater.

Roughly half the cast is from the university. Eric Mansfield, the executive director of university media relations, will be playing the role of Bob Cratchit. Playing his mother is Danielle Gruhler, an associate professor of teaching, learning and curriculum studies.

“I did the ‘A Christmas Carol’ musical another year, and this year I am playing a different character,” Mansfield said. “There are a lot more challenging parts to this character because I have to go through a larger range of emotions.”

Sean Taylor, a sophomore theater studies major, will be taking on the role of ghost of Christmas present. Kent State graduate Helen Casebolt will be playing three different roles in this play.

“This play is lighthearted and heartwarming; it is the most family-oriented show I have done. I think all ages can enjoy it,” Casebolt said.

Opening night on Friday, Dec. 1 will be free, and donations will be accepted.

The show will continue through Dec. 23. Tickets range from $14 to $18 and can be purchased online. 

Kassandra Kaczmarek is an arts and entertainment reporter. Contact her at [email protected].