Students use talents to express African-American experience

Quaylyn Hairston

As part of its Black History Month celebration, the Male Empowerment Network (M.E.N.) held a Black Expressions event on Tuesday night in the Student Multicultural Center.

The idea behind the event was “for Kent State students to express themselves as we enter into Black History Month,” said Deven White Revere, a junior middle childhood education major.

The event was also created to “showcase the talent of students on campus and pay homage to the culture we represent,” said Michael Daniels, program coordinator for the Student Multicultural Center and M.E.N. advisor.

With the words pouring from the students’ mouths and filling the ears of the audience, spectators were “appreciating black excellence and black culture,” said Afia Boachie, a sophomore psychology major.

Performances included song and spoken word.

“M.E.N. definitely did a great job. It was a great event, and I will support them again in the future,” Boachie said.

After each performance, members of M.E.N. recited poems of late writers, such as Maya Angelou, Langston Hughes and Gwendolyn Brooks.

“The event turned out to be better than expected,” White said. “It has been the biggest event so far.”

Quaylyn Hairston is the entertainment reporter, contact her at [email protected].