16th annual Bowman Cup 5K kicks off Homecoming Saturday

Mckenna Corson

The 16th annual Bowman Cup 5K Race brought homecoming spirit to over 300 participants Saturday. Anyone was allowed to register for the race, which kicked off at 8 a.m. at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center.

The race started and ended at a parking lot across from the Rec. Runners ran through the Portage Hike and Bike Trail.

Jenna Payne, a marketing graduate assistant for the division of student affairs, organized the event, along with the assistance of nine other marketing students.

Payne stressed the tradition of the 5K and what it represented. The race is held in memory of previous Kent State President George Bowman. As a signature of Bowman, his love for fedora hats was reflected in the race with the creation of custom made fedoras as prizes according to Payne.

Payne also described the significance of the 5K.

“(The purpose of the race is) to create health and wellness throughout the university,” Payne said. “This is also a community event. We have community runners, alumni, students, faculty and staff. The race encourages everyone on campus to get in the homecoming spirit, since we hold it on homecoming day every year, as well as encourage healthy behaviors.”

After the race, an award ceremony was held inside the Rec. There was food, music and an announcement of the winners.

Winners of the race were divided male and female in a variety of types, including overall winners, age group winners and category winners. Overall male and female winners won cash prizes, a signature Bowman cup and a fedora.

Luke Hickman won the race overall with a time of 15:26. Madelynn Madison was first for women and eleventh overall with a time of 19:33.

Category winners were divided between male and female in student, alumni, employee and community member categories. Category winners received a Bowman cup and fedora.

Age group male and female winners started at ages nine and under and went up to 80 and plus. Age group winners received a Bowman cup.

Julie Cole, a Chardon High School cross country coach and Kent State alum, came to the race to celebrate her alma mater.

“I’m an alum and a cross country coach, so of course I signed up,” Cole said.

Jim Cordior, a car wash owner from Mogadore, came to the race to be with his family.

“I’m able to run with my daughter and her future husband, who both graduated from Kent State,” Cordior said. “I like this race. I’ve done it four times before, and it’s the only race I do (each) year.”

As for the future of the Bowman 5K, Payne hopes that it stays the same.

“It’s very traditional, as we do everything the same every year,” Payne said. “We hope to continue to grow our numbers and keep it as fun.”

All participants of the Bowman 5K received a free performance T-shirt, access to a food buffet, door prizes and reserved seating for the homecoming parade.

Contact Mckenna Corson at [email protected].