MAC Championships upset leaves gymnastics in fifth

Elise Kogelnik

The Kent State gymnasts fell to four Mid-American Conference teams at Saturday’s championship meet after an undefeated MAC season.   

The Flashes’ (No. 1 MAC) score of 195.325 earned them fifth place in the MAC Championships. They out-scored Northern Illinois University and Western Michigan University.

Eastern Michigan University swept the meet with 196.425 points. Ball State University (No. 6 MAC) took second at 195.650 in their home gym. Bowling Green State University (No. 7 MAC) finished third after defeating just one MAC team in the regular season.

Central Michigan University, which usually battles Kent State for first, fell to fourth Saturday with 195.600 points.  

Sophomore Brooke Timko led the Flashes on the uneven bars with 9.850. She tied two gymnasts for fourth place.

Freshman Dara Williams posted a 9.800 on vault, tying four gymnasts for fourth place. Senior Nicolle Eastman followed Williams in ninth place at 9.775. 

Junior Jordan Hardison, named to the All-MAC Second Team Wednesday, tied sophomore Ali Marrero at 9.775 for the No. 22 spot on balance beam. Freshman Kennedy Plude and junior Milena Fabry followed in the No. 27 spot with 9.750 points each.

Hardison’s score of 9.925 earned her second place in the floor exercise. Denasiha Christian of Ball State University took Hardison’s first place spot late in the meet with 9.950 points. Juniors Samantha Gordon and Skyelee Lamano tied three other gymnasts for third in the event.  

Sophomore Rachel Stypinski, an All-MAC First Team gymnast, was removed from the lineup late Friday due to an injury she sustained before the March 6 meet. 

Stypinski and Lamano tied for first in the floor exercise at the 2015 MAC Championships in Kent. The Flashes took first in last year’s meet.

The Flashes are not yet locked into the NCAA Regionals lineup. Kent State is currently ranked No. 30 in the NCAA. The top 36 teams qualify for the meet, which is set for April 2.

Elise Kogelnik is a sports reporter for The Kent Stater. Contact her at[email protected].