Dining Services offers a culinary passport with themed nights

Shane Beneke

The sound of a live Italian band filled the room while the smell of fresh meats and cheeses lingered. Renaissance artwork hung on the walls. These were just a few of the details Kent State Dining Services included when they transformed Kent Market 2 into an Italian restaurant for Da Vinci Night.

Serving delicious pastas and desserts like cannoli and gelato, Da Vinci Night is one of the many events created by Dining Services for their new program called Culinary Passport. Culinary Passport encourages students to come to special themed events held at Kent Market 2, Eastway Café and Prentice Café.

“We’re trying to focus on not only the experience for the students to have fun, but also to introduce the culinary expertise that we have here on campus,” said Rita Mugford, marketing coordinator for Dining Services, in a press release.

Students can pick up a booklet and use it to collect stickers at the events they attend. By attending seven out of the 13 events put on by Dining Services they will receive a Kent State T-shirt. By attending an additional four events, they will also win a new sustainable Kent State water bottle. Students can claim their prizes by bringing their passport to the Dining Services office on the second floor of Beall Hall by Wednesday, Dec. 16.

Elisabeth Lodwick, a freshman fashion merchandising major, and Dallas Gajovski, a freshman classics major, both attended Da Vinci Night on Wednesday night and said they would probably attend future events.

Gajovski said she will continue to go as long as there is good food.

“I mean even if it’s some type of crazy food (like Russian), I’ll probably end up still going,” Lodwick said.

Popular dining staples like Soul Food Night and Noche Caliente, which offers Latin food, will also count as events for Culinary Passport, but new events will be added, too. Events like a clam bake and “Barbecue Blues” will count for Culinary Passport points. Most events take place on Wednesday evenings from 4:30 to 8 p.m.

Shane Beneke is the health reporter for The Kent Stater. Contact him at [email protected].