Our View: Don’t dismiss mental illness

KS Editors

Monday began National Suicide Prevention Week. In 2012, 6.6 percent to 7.5 percent of undergraduate students seriously considered suicide in a study provided by the Suicide Prevention Resource Center. This week is meant to serve as a time of awareness and conversation. 

College is rough, especially for freshmen who aren’t used to the environment. Between juggling classes and trying to get immersed into groups to find your place, it seems there’s no time for self-evaluation. However, taking time to assess how you’re feeling, especially
if the feeling or absence of feeling seems to be repeating, is an important step in recognizing if seeking professional help from the university is an appropriate action. 

Be aware of how you’re feeling, and be aware of the behavior of your friends. Take notice if someone close to you seems off and repeatedly check in with them. Don’t be a bystander. There’s a difference between taking a lazy day and not being able to get out of bed or go to class. 

Kent State offers many services for those who deal with mental illness or heavy stress. We believe more students need to reach out and care for themselves if they feel they’re getting into a bad place, even if it’s in the middle of the semester. 

The Counseling and Human Development Center in White Hall provides individual and group counseling services — all free of charge for students, faculty and staff. 

DeWeese Health Center near Eastway offers online anonymous screenings as well as regular appointments. The Psychological Clinic in Kent Hall charges $5 per session upon scheduling an appointment. 

We feel there are many opportunities avail- able for students to talk to someone who can help, but it requires an initial step toward recog- nizing a potential problem. 

Want to remain anonymous? Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273- TALK (8255). 

The above editorial is the consensus opinion of The Kent Stater editorial board.