Wrestling, gymnastics shine in Friday’s Beauty and the Beast event

A wrestling match goes on as the Kent State gymnastics team huddles on the floor mat at the third annual Beauty and the Beast event in the M.A.C. Center on Friday, Jan. 30, 2015. The Kent State wrestling team beat Eastern Michigan University 25-9m and the Kent State gymnastics team beat the University of Pittsburgh 195.750 to 191.175.

Megan McEldowney

The audience in the M.A.C. Center roared with excitement, ignited by a bold introduction of the Kent State Flashes stepping onto the mat. The wrestlers entered arm-in-arm with the gymnasts, handing them roses before separating into their own teams.

The third annual Beauty and the Beast event came to life after this introduction.

“I just think it’s a really neat concept,” gymnastics coach Brice Biggin said. “I mean obviously it’s something that started years ago across the country. It really showcases two completely different sports that are pretty exciting when you sit down and watch both.”

Gymnastics had a successful night, beating Pittsburgh 195.750-191.175. Sophomore Skyelee Lamano and freshman Rachel Stypinski set two career-highs on two events. Lamano earned a career mark of 9.8 on the floor and 9.850 on the bars, while Stypinski registered a career-best score of 9.9 on the floor and beam.

Pittsburgh fell to 2-5 overall following the contest, and Kent State improved its record to 2-3 overall and 1-1 in the Mid-American Conference.

Wrestling also dominated the evening, defeating the Eastern Michigan Eagles 25-9.

Junior Ian Miller (157) led the team by earning five points for the Flashes.

The team now owns a 7-11 record with a 3-3 mark in the MAC.

Aside from the competition, students and people from around the area came out to support friends and family during this event. 

“I don’t usually go to school events. When I heard the name Beauty and the Beast, my attention was automatically caught. That was my favorite movie growing up,” sophomore nursing major Laura Masimore said. “Also, I have a few friends on the wrestling team and really enjoyed watching gymnastics. It was the perfect event to go out and watch.”

A number of children attended the event. Boys and girls ran onto the mat, trying to emulate the college athletes.

“As far as kids are concerned, it’s obviously a kid’s friendly type thing where it’s that concept of Beauty and the Beast,” Biggin said.

A coloring contest was held before the event, allowing the winner to walk away with a Future Flashes prize pack. A second grader took home the prize and was more than thrilled with the outcome.

After the meet, the athletes signed autographs and greeted fans to end the night.

Gymnastics will travel to Ypsilanti, Michigan on Saturday, Feb. 7 to face Eastern Michigan at 4 p.m. Wrestling lost its competition against Central Michigan on Sunday, 19-13, and will face Northern Iowa at home on Sunday, Feb. 8.

Contact Megan McEldowney at [email protected].