Gymnastics defeats Pittsburgh at Beauty and the Beast meet

Megan McEldowney

The Kent State gymnastics team won 195.75-191.175 against the University of Pittsburgh.

During the first rotation, Kent State came out strong on the vault. Sophomore Skyelee Lamano led the Flashes out of the gate, earning a 9.675 score.

Lamano and freshman Rachel Stypinski set two career-highs on two events. Lamano earned a career mark of 9.8 on the floor and 9.850 on the bars, while Stypinski earned a career mark of 9.9 on the floor and beam.  

“It was the second week in a row where Rachel Stypinski has really come on strong,” Biggin said.

Freshman Brooke Timko also had a career-high on vault, scoring 9.875. Senior Chelsea Drooger followed Timko, finishing in third place with a 9.800.

“We had a lot of energy tonight. We had a lot of confidence,” Biggin said. “We made a couple mistake there at the end that cost us a little bit, but I think overall it was a very good team performance. I think everyone did their part tonight.”

Pittsburgh fell to 2-5 overall following the contest, and Kent State improved its record to 2-3 overall and 1-1 in the MAC.

“I thought we did really well. We keep improving,” sophomore Samantha Gordon said. “I thought the freshmen really stepped up.”

Kent State will head to Ypsilanti, Michigan on Saturday, Feb. 7 to face Eastern Michigan at 4 p.m.

Contact Megan McEldowney at [email protected].