Gymnastics posts best total of season, still falls to WMU

Sean Blevins Sports Reporter

The Kent State gymnastics team (3-5, 2-2 Mid-American Conference) narrowly lost to Western Michigan University 196.025-195.850 on Thursday.

The Flashes had strong performers in every event and posted their highest total score of the season. 

“Two kids made mistakes and slipped on bars and we ended up losing a tough one,” coach Brice Biggin said. “It’s so frustrating, we shot ourselves in the foot. There were a lot of things we did well and we should have come out with the win.” 

The Flashes had their best score as a team on floor since 2018, finishing with a 49.475. Senior Jade Brown won the event title with a 9.925. Seniors Abby Fletcher, Toshi Richard and Carlie Franz all tied for second place with a 9.900. 

“Jade Brown is one of those special kids who makes the team better with her presence and her skills,” Biggin said. 

Fletcher also tied for second place on beam with a 9.875. 

“Her name pops up every week, she is on a roll,” Biggin said about Fletcher. 

As a team, KSU set a season-high with a 49.925 on vault. Junior Cami Klein and sophomore Karlie Franz both scored a season-high 9.825, which finished tied for third. 

The Golden Flashes took the top three positions on bars as Jade Brown won the individual title, her second of the night with a 9.900. Sophomore Rachel DeCavitch and freshman Sarah Haxton each tied for second with a 9.850. 

“Karlie Franz and Sarah Haxton had great nights, they were really impressive,” Biggin said. “Sarah is only a freshman and we are looking forward to what she can bring to the team.” 

The Flashes will host Central Michigan University on Sunday, Feb. 21 for the annual Pink Meet. 

“We have to buckle down and get the job done,” Biggin said. “If we want to be the best, we have to beat the best. We are good enough, we just have to find a way to win.” 

Sean is a sports reporter. Contact him at [email protected].