Opinion: College teaches life lessons, not just class lessons

Audrey Young

We are smack in the middle of the semester, which is both exciting and terrifying when you think about all the work that is still left to do—seriously how are there only two months left? The other day while leaving campus after my awful night class—not awful because of the professor or class, just because of the fact that it’s 8:30 p.m. before I can head home—I started to think about what things Kent State as taught me outside of the classroom.

Paying for bills is a very real struggle

Lovely bills. When I moved into my first apartment I was so excited—until the bills poured in. My dream life apartment didn’t seem so dreamy. Now 20 years old, for god only knows what reason, I just decided in my brain that due dates for bills were flexible. I don’t think I actually thought this but I sure acted on it. At first it was awesome; I had so much extra money and whenever I thought of bills I thought as long as they get it this month-ish nothing will happen. WRONG. So wrong. I found out how wrong my theory was the day I had a huge project due and surprise, no Internet because I never paid. Being in college in my first apartment taught me bills are not an imagination; they are very real and you have to pay them on time—who knew? Not 20 year old me, that’s for sure.

Wine (usually) fixes everything

College is stressful—actually life in general is stressful. Between work and school I often find myself on the edge of a breakdown. The best way I know how to relax, you ask? Drink an entire bottle of wine. You will instantly not be able to feel you fingers and/or face and it can be awesome. When I started college, all-nighters were accompanied by coffee, but as time and years have gone by I have found wine is a much better study buddy—unless you really need to study and ace a test. In that case please don’t listen to my awful advice. 

Graduation will come back to haunt you

In your freshman year, graduation is a far-away day that is exciting in theory but it’s so far away that you really don’t have many real feelings about it. Sophomore year is basically the same except now you probably know what major you are going to officially graduate with—unless you are me and you change your major five times. However, when junior year shows up graduation becomes this magical mystery day that you cannot wait for. You think about who’s going to be there, what you are going to wear, what decorations you are going to out on your cap. You are pumped for it. This feeling of love for graduation will last until you have only two months of college left. What used to be a fairy tale dream is now my worst nightmare—I don’t want to graduate; that’s just scary. Real life is damn terrifying. Therefore, and lastly, college taught me to cherish the time you have—it flies right on by. 

Contact Audrey Young at [email protected].