Kickboxing academy offers entertainment, self defense

Jacob Byk

Bobby Koch (right), sophomore aeronautics major spars with Tyler Peacock (left), junior communications major after a Thursday night practice at World Kickboxing Academy in Stow, Ohio Thursday, April 4, 2014. Both students teach boxing and have performed fighting sports for the majority of their lives.

Endya Watson

Every week, 30 to 40 Kent State students visit World Kickboxing Academy in Stow, Ohio, to take Muay Thai kickboxing.

The academy offers multiple 45 minute kickboxing classes throughout the week that are geared toward adults. Tyler Peacock, a Kent State student and trainer at the academy, said that the classes have something for everyone.

“Majority of the students we have come through here want to learn self-defense, but kickboxing has a lot of benefits,” Peacock said. “It’s a great workout, you’re learning different ways to use your body and you build confidence.”

Robert Koch, sophomore aeronautics major, said he started off as a student at the academy about a year and a half ago. He has now worked his way up to a trainer position.

“After starting classes here, building my skills up and putting in the time, I was told they were looking for a new trainer,” Koch said. “I jumped on the opportunity.”

Koch said he would encourage any college student to take up kickboxing, regardless of what he or she is looking to get out of it.

“It really depends on what you want to do, maybe self-defense or maybe just something fun on the side,” Koch said. “But more than fighting, you really learn respect here, and that’s something anyone can benefit from.”

World Kickboxing Academy offers a 30-day free trial to anyone interested in taking classes. Peacock said he thinks college students should try them out, and not be discouraged by starting at an older age.

“It’s really hard to find a disadvantage of trying kickboxing, even if you are just starting off at college age,” Peacock said. “It’s never too late to start getting the skills you get from the class.”

Trainers at the academy said they recognize danger involved with the activity, but are confident in student’s safety.

Ryan Andrachik, master instructor at the academy, said classes are organized in a way that is as safe as possible.

“We have a lot of people here every day, kids even, so safety is definitely a factor,” Andrachik said. “What we do is match partners based on their level within kickboxing and their size. The trainers do a great job of making sure things run smoothly.”

During the 30-day free trial, students can come to as many classes as they want.  

Andrachik said he recommends that students come to classes at least two times a week to get the most out of them.

“Time is a killer, especially with our college students,” Andrachik said. “Many of them get really busy and can’t come as much as they’d like, but, if you have the time, it really is a good experience.”

Adult classes are offered everyday except Friday and Sunday at various times. For more information about World Kickboxing Academy and to sign up for a free trial, click here.

Contact Endya Watson at [email protected]