Opinion: Education is vital for success of future society

Kent Kirker is a junior education major and columnist for the Daily Kent Stater.  Contact him at [email protected].

Kent Kirker

I recently came across an article by the International Journal of Special Education, titled “Exploring Computer And Storybook Interventions For Children With High Functioning Autism.” It was mainly about reading and literacy comprehension-based interventions in children with autism.

There are two interventions mentioned — storybook reading and computer-assisted instruction. The article directly infers that repetition and a structured environment are vital to comprehension in children with disabilities mild or otherwise, especially those with autism.

The studies have shown that using these two types of interventions to raise literacy and comprehension does work, but one isn’t more effective than the other. This suggests that both do help children with disabilities; it all depends on the child.

In my opinion, this was a sort of informative article. I already knew repetition with students with disabilities was vital to their comprehension. However, repetition doesn’t always mean using the same intervention. In fact, it can mean the complete opposite.

All students learn differently and at different paces. Using repetition with a variety of intervention aspects is a good skill to master. Ironically, the article — though repetitive — did well at establishing the point and making it easier to understand.

This is vital to educators or students currently in the field of education. It is especially important to me as well as other future teachers in that we need to understand that every student learns differently and at various paces.

In addition, learning and using new types of intervention helps all teachers, even those not specializing in special education, because they may still encounter students with special needs during their career.  

Repetition never gets old. I’ve learned over my years of schooling and various field experiences that every student can learn, we just need to know how to help them learn.

Mastering repetition and intervention skills helps both teachers and students in the long run. Every student has the right to an education, and a good education at that.

Therefore, those in the field of education must prepare ourselves adequately to compensate the multiple skill levels of the students we wish to make a difference with.

I firmly believe we must focus on building a sound path for future generations to traverse. In doing so, we lay the ground work and effectively pass the torch to the next generation to learn from our mistakes and expand upon our successes. It is a collective goal among these generations to be a catalyst for the next.

Ultimately, it is with this mindset that we continue to focus on the work at hand, and in time, if we are diligent, we might see the fruits of our labor mature and take on the burdens of our ever-changing society.