Former Super Bowl MVP inspires students at Initiative Conference

Gameday anlyst and 1991 Heisman Trophy winner Desmond Howard speaks at the second annual M.A.L.E. Innitiate Conference in the Student Center on Saturday, March 8, 2014. Howard spoke about his experiences in college and wanted young men to understand that it makes you smarter, not dumber, to ask for help and use the reasources available.

Michael Lopick

Desmond Howard was ridiculed growing up because of his short stature, but he never let others limit him. He went on to be the MVP of Super Bowl XXXI.

“When I was young I was always small and people always told me what I could and couldn’t do because of it,” Howard said. “Now that I’m a man, I realize that they were trying to limit me through their own boundaries.”

Howard spoke to a crowd of young men about what it means to be “Limitless,” the theme for Kent State’s Men focusing on Action, Leadership and Engagement, at the Initiative Conference held Saturday on the second floor of the Student Center.

Howard, a Cleveland native, played football for Michigan University, where he was awarded the Heisman Trophy and became the fourth overall NFL draft pick after his graduation.

He was a Green Bay Packer during their Super Bowl XXXI win against the Patriots and was named the game’s MVP. He is now an ESPN analyst and anchor for the network’s Game Day show, which focuses on college football.

The conference also featured speaker Tim Storey, an author and life advisor, as well as break-out sessions covering topics such as men’s health, social media and leadership.

As a freshman at a NCAA Division I school, Howard told the audience how he struggled to balance his grades and football.

Instead of letting the pressure get the best of him, he reached out to Greg Hardy, a man who he looked up to.

“I was frustrated because I felt like I wasn’t getting enough play time, even though I worked as hard and performed as well as the other players,” he said. “Hardy helped me realize that I was playing the victim and inspired me to refocus myself and rise above my issues to be the best that I could be.”

Hardy’s reassurance helped Howard maintain his GPA while guiding him through the struggles of being a collegiate athlete, such as when he wanted to transfer schools.

Howard told the story of how Hardy helped him throughout college to show the students that knowing when to ask for help is an important life skill that many men take for granted.

“Don’t ever be afraid to reach out for help when you need it,” he said. “There’s a male bravado that makes us think asking for help is weak, when it’s really the opposite. Asking for help doesn’t make you weak, it makes you smart.”

Howard urged students to not let others influence them negatively and for them to  maintain their independence.

“You define yourself and what you want to accomplish,” he said. “Don’t let yours or others’ boundaries constrain you. If you can’t think outside of the box, you can’t step out of it.”

Jason Reeves, freshman managerial marketing major, said he thought the conference was a great way to network and talk about issues affecting young men.

“Being here and getting to talk with male peers and professionals has been an amazing experience,” he said. “It was awesome to be able to let down our guards and talk honestly about our fears and dreams with each other and make connections.”

Contact Michael Lopick at [email protected].