Teach for America to benefit schools and children in need

Carolyn Pippin

Kent State’s National Society of Collegiate Scholars will collect school supplies for the organization Teach for America to benefit children and schools in need on the first floor of the Kent State Student Center from 3 to 6 p.m. Nov. 4, 6 and 7.

Teach for America is “a national teacher corps of college graduates and professionals who commit to teach for two years in low-income urban and rural public schools,” Julie Gauntt, head of community service for the National Society of Collegiate Scholars (NSCS), said in an email.

Some cities Teach for America works in are Detroit, Houston and even Cleveland, president Emily LaSpina said in an email.

NSCS is advertising through Facebook and Twitter to get the word out about the school-supply drive.

The group is also sending lists to Wal-Mart so shoppers can see what to buy and donate, Gauntt said.

Donations can also be dropped off at a movie night NSCS is hosting on Monday, Nov. 25, at 6 p.m. in Student Center Room 304.

“Our goal is to get enough school supplies to fill five brown paper bags, but hopefully we get more,” Gauntt said.

Collegiate Scholars is “an honor society that recognizes and evaluates high-achieving students,” LaSpina said in an email. Nominees for the group “must be in their first or second year of their undergraduate career, and have earned a GPA of 3.4 or above.” Between 700 and 800 students are members in the organization.

­­

Contact Carolyn Pippin at [email protected].