Men’s basketball suspends activities, postpones Akron game

Kent State’s men’s basketball team has suspended all team activities due to COVID-19 issues. This includes the postponement of the team’s game against the University of Akron which was set to be played Saturday.

The Mid-American Conference released a statement late Thursday morning stating the game was postponed “due to roster issues with the Kent State men’s basketball team related to positive COVID-19 tests and subsequent contact tracing.”

Kent’s last game was a 92-73 win over Northern Kentucky University (2-3) in Kent.

The team announced with a statement on Twitter that it “has paused all team related activities following COVID-19 protocols.”

The rescheduled date has not been announced yet. The game was going to be the first MAC game of the season for either program.

The Flashes’ next scheduled game is Wednesday, Dec. 30, at the M.A.C.C. at a time yet to be determined against Bowling Green State University (4-2, 1-0 MAC).

Kathryn Rajnicek is a sports reporter. Contact her at [email protected].

SUPPORT STUDENT MEDIA 

Hi, I’m Lauren Sasala, a senior journalism student from Toledo. I’m also the editor in chief of The Kent Stater and KentWired this semester. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important news about Kent State and the Kent community. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate.