University announces annual ‘Giving Tuesdays’ fundraiser

Valoree Vargo will serve as Kent States vice president for philanthropy and alumni engagement starting on Sept. 1 and as the executive director of the Kent State University Foundation following the appointment of its board of directors. April 31, 2021.

Kent State University

Valoree Vargo will serve as Kent State’s vice president for philanthropy and alumni engagement starting on Sept. 1 and as the executive director of the Kent State University Foundation following the appointment of its board of directors. April 31, 2021.

Kent State University announced Monday its annual ‘Giving Tuesdays’ campaign that will take place throughout the month of November. 

The initiative, which is in its eighth year, has raised almost $7 million toward helping Kent State students achieve academic success. 

This year, students are able to participate in Giving Tuesdays, as members of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars (NSCS) from both KSU and Akron University are organizing a competitive fundraiser to combat food insecurity during the Thanksgiving season. 

Students, alumni and community members can contribute by donating non-perishable food items. The donations will benefit the Flashes Fighting Hunger initiative, a student-run volunteer organization that is committed to reducing food waste and promoting food security. 

​​Items can be dropped off at multiple locations on the Kent Campus, including the Memorial Athletic and Convocation Center, Kent Student Center, University Library and the Campus Kitchen, which is located on the second floor of the Tri-Towers Rotunda.

The winner will be announced on social media on Nov. 20 during the Kent State football team’s game against Akron. 

Every Tuesday, KSU will announce a new initiative to encourage people to donate. The first one will be on Nov. 2, and it is called “Triple Your Gift Tuesday.” Any donation that is given to a Giving Tuesday featured fund will be tripled. Donors will be equated once by that fund’s match and once by the volunteer boards at Kent State, until the allotted money runs out. 

Each fund will support the university’s new Forever Brighter campaign, whose goal is to raise $350 million in support of Kent State student success by providing scholarship support, elite faculty and facilities and high-impact experiences. 

In addition, for every 20 donors who give $25 or more to a fund throughout the month, that fund will receive a $500 participation boost. 

“Students are the heart of our university, and supporting their success is our first priority at Kent State,” said Valoree Vargo, vice president for philanthropy and alumni engagement at Kent State and executive director of the Kent State University Foundation in an email. “Giving Tuesday is an opportunity to transform the lives of our students. Each gift paves the way, giving students access to higher education, enhanced experiences, greater academic achievement and the means to graduate and pursue their dreams.” 

Information on all the Giving Tuesday initiatives can be found at www.kent.edu/givingtuesday.

Jimmy Oswald is a sports editor. Contact him at [email protected]