Our view: Online forums offer opportunity and transparency

DKS Editors

Kent State’s new online forum on the Civic Commons’ website launched Monday, and instead of complaining on social media, students should utilize the resource provided to them to voice concerns about the university.

The website poses questions related to student issues — such as research and student success — to stir conversation and debate among those concerned about the university’s academics. It’s a great tool to get students’ voices heard.

Every few days, a topic is opened for discussion and moderated by the provost’s Strategic Plan Committee. The hope is everyone in the university community will have something to say in the discussions — be it a student, staffer, faculty member, administrator or parent — and those conversations will turn into real change.

Once the discussion is closed, the responses will be aggregated into a report for university administrators. From there, the university can begin to better accommodate its students by better knowing their needs.

The best part about the new website is the lack of anonymity. There is no mask for users to hide behind — they must officially register in order to comment. That way, every user will know he or she is corresponding with somebody who is truly concerned about Kent State.

Students have an opportunity, by using the forum, to tell the university what it needs to do to become a better institution of higher learning. With a university this large, an invitation for students to speak about academic issues should not be ignored. The Provost’s Office’s decision to create a virtual town hall shows genuine concern for its student body.

As a university that sometimes lacks transparency in its administration, Kent State is moving in the right direction. The Civic Commons is great way to get a conversation started among students.

The above editorial is the consensus opinion of the Daily Kent Stater editorial board.