Our View: Go crazy, Kent State

DKS Editors

Summary: The Flashes football team did not disappoint Saturday afternoon. We’ve said it before, we’ll say it again: it’s time to get excited about this season.

Even before Saturday’s thrilling Homecoming victory over the Western Michigan Broncos, this has been a dream season for Kent State football fans.

The team had won four straight games, and three of those wins were in decisive fashion.

When the Kent State football team took a seven-point lead into halftime of the Saturday’s Homecoming game, there was reason to be confident.

A balanced rushing attack is the key to putting games away in the second half, and the Flashes definitely are a run-first offense.

The running back tandem of sophomore Trayion Durham and junior Dri Archer have dominated games all season. While fans were running to the bathrooms and concession stands during the halftime intermission, they had to feel that this would be a happy Homecoming.

However, a long drive by the Broncos and a turnover by the Flashes quickly turned the game in WMU’s favor. In what felt like the blink of an eye, the Kent State football team was trailing 24-17.

At a time when the team and the university needed it most, the student athletes on the football team rallied together and showed exactly why we need to get out and support them for the rest of the season.

It started with a 10-play, 74-yard drive that was capped by an amazing diving touchdown catch by freshman wide receiver Josh Boyle. The game was tied at 24, and you could cut the tension in Dix Stadium with a knife.

After that, the Flashes rattled off another 17 unanswered points to seal a 41-24 victory.

We often try to avoid clichés at the Stater, but this one is applicable: this was a statement game for the Flashes.

The statement was that this team has more talented athletes than any Kent State football team in decades. The other statement was this team has the character and will to win to make this a special season.

Good teams can come from behind, good teams can run the ball effectively and good teams force turnovers in big situations.

This team has done all of those things this season.

There are two home games left, including the Wagon Wheel game against hated rival the University of Akron.

So, for the second time this semester, the Daily Kent Stater editorial board implores you to go out and support this team. Even though we think Flashes football is heading in the right direction, who knows if we have to wait another 40 years for a quality football team.

The above editorial is the consensus opinion of the Daily Kent Stater editorial board.