Our View: Building a better campus

DKS Editors

Much of the downtown redevelopment is nearing completion, but the construction projects in Kent are far from over, now that the Board of Trustees have given the green light to four more giant campus building projects.

Luckily, they aren’t four more student greens. The new improvements will address many of the oldest, most unpleasant buildings on campus, which we’re excited about.

The science mall — Cunningham, Smith and Williams halls — will receive renovations and additions. Anyone who’s taken a physics or chemistry course in one of the old, dirty science labs will appreciate that. In addition, the College of Applied Engineering, Sustainability and Technology will move out of Van Deusen Hall and into a much-needed new facility.

Art and architecture students, after members of each have publicly wanted to converge into one location instead of being in several scattered buildings, will finally get what they desired. This includes renovations to the Art Building and Annex as well as a new building solely for the College of Architecture and Environmental Design on the extended Esplanade.

While the $150 million price tag might be tough for some to swallow, we understand the importance of these projects. Many of the science, art and technology buildings are among Kent State’s biggest eyesores, and continuing to ignore them will only cause them to fall further into disrepair.

These changes won’t be complete for about four years, which means most of us won’t be around to see the finished product. But we want our alma mater to meet students’ needs for years to come, so we will gladly thank the Board for taking this necessary step.

The above editorial is the consensus opinion of the Daily Kent Stater editorial board.