Romney fires up Ohioans with five-points speech

MCT

GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney and running mate Rep. Paul Ryan, right, take the stage at a send-off rally on the tarmac at the airport in Lakeland Florida, Friday, August 31, 2012. After the Lakeland event, Romney was slated to go to New Orleans to tour hurricane damage. Photo courtesy of MCT Campus.

Maura Zurick

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney told supporters in Mansfield Monday that God and small businesses are in his heart, something more than 1,000 Ohioans found comforting.

Romney, the former Governor of Massachusetts, started his speech by delivering his interpretation of the “Pledge of Allegiance.” His pledge derives from the very pledge most Americans remeber from school. He said it’s something of significance for him and that he plans to restore liberty, unity and justice for all Americans.

Romney promised the crowd a lot of things, one of which being that he will be in Ohio many more times because Ohio is a known swing state. He also made promises to create more jobs and utilize America’s resources and energy by drilling in North America with the Keystone Pipeline.

His supporters seemed to hang on every word of his 30-minute address. The rally took place in a machine plant owned by Mark Romanchuk, who is campaigning to become a member of the House of Representatives for Richland County.

The location played a key role in Romney’s main point: small businesses are the foundation of the country. Romanchuk’s plant, PR Machine Works, is a small business started in 1964 by his father.

Courtney Bailey, 19, of Lebanon, was one of the few college students attending the speech. She said the selection of Romanchuk’s plant really reflected the core ideas Romney was trying to drive home.

Bailey attends Ashland University where she studies history and political science. She said as a student, the economy and job market are big concerns of hers.

She believes Romney and Ryan are a “good duo for the country.”

“I like them as a team,” Bailey said. “Especially with Ryan’s five-point plan, and Romney seems to be picking up on that as well. I think it’s just a good combination. Something we all need.”

Ryan and Romney’s five-point plan is their step-by-step approach in fixing the big issues.

Romney said the first step is using America’s resources, specifically coal and oil, and said the second focus is trade. The third is creating a skilled workforce. He believes manufacturers will be able to train their employees in a way that brings back specific-skill jobs like carpentry and electrical engineering.

Romney’s fourth point earned screams of joy from the audience. He plans to stop spending and said, “we don’t want to end up on the road to Greece.”

His final step encompasses his “we built it” slogan, which means small-business owners built their businesses. He said he plans to help them out by lowering their taxes and getting rid of Obamacare so those businesses can hire more people.

September Long, 18, of Barberton, said she is worried about the state of the economy and job market because when she graduates the market will affect her. She said that’s one of many reasons why she will vote for Romney and Ryan in November.

“I think Romney and Ryan are one of the best tickets we’ve had in years,” Long said. “I think they’re very fiscally conservative, and I think Ryan brings the Catholic background. God and religion are very important to both of them; it’s nice to see that as politicians, they’re not afraid to show that side of their lives. So I think it’s a well-rounded ticket. I think that when they win, I’ll have a much better shot at getting a job when I graduate.”

Long attends Ashland University where she studies political science.

Bill Sample, 53, of Ashland, makes cabinets and furniture for a living. He said he’s self-employed and that affects the way he votes. He said the Republican platform fits more with his lifestyle choice because he’s “working hard and being rewarded for it.”

Sample is also a military veteran and said he wants to see our military stay strong and powerful.

“I like Romney’s vision,” Sample said. “I think he will be good for the United States.”

He said he thinks Romney can create more jobs and also reclaim the jobs the U.S. has lost to foreign employment. He said he believes Ryan as a vice president will help Romney in every aspect of government policy, especially coming up with solutions.

“I like the younger vision Ryan brings to the table, partnered with Romney’s maturity,” Sample said. “They’re both skilled in management and business. They know how to run a business. They know how to create jobs, and I think they’ll do that on a national level while restoring American morals and values.