An open letter from Evan Gildenblatt

Evan Gildenblatt

When I was campaigning for Undergraduate Student Government, I made a promise to represent the best interests of the students of Kent State University. I intend to keep that promise, and I’m here today to say that I applaud the efforts of our students who have respectfully voiced their opinions on the new tuition plateau to the administration.

While I know all too well that our university is in dire need of funding for deferred maintenance and infrastructure repairs on academic buildings, I am also painfully aware of the ever-increasing financial burden that is being placed on students and their families. That being said, I will do everything that is in my power to work proactively with you, the administration, the Board of Trustees, and the state government to make sure that you obtain the quality education you deserve at an affordable cost.

The most recent state budget that slashed university funding by 15 percent has placed our institution in a near-impossible situation, and it is imperative for acceptable solutions to be found that preserve Ohio’s dedication to higher education. As the newly elected USG takes office this week, I pledge that we will work with you in order to find any way possible to mitigate the impact of this policy on our students who are most greatly affected.

If you have any questions or would like to speak privately, I encourage you to contact me.

Best,

Evan M. Gildenblatt

Executive Director-elect

Director of Governmental Affairs

Undergraduate Student Government