Our view: We are the 10 percent

DKS Editors

Have you registered for classes for Fall 2012 yet? If so, did you register for 18 or more credits? If so, did you know you’ll be paying $440 more per credit hour after 17 credits?

This new credit-hour-fee was first announced at the March 14 Board of Trustees meeting. President Lester Lefton said it “creates more equity,” as only about 10 percent of students take more than 17 hours. [Sorry, 10 percent.]

Now, students are rising up in protest — two were scheduled this week, and we don’t blame them.

Let’s take a look at the most common degree requirement at Kent State. It’s around 121 hours, which is an average of 15 credits per semester for the eight semesters you’ll likely be here. That seems doable.

But let’s take a look at what this could mean for those of you who don’t want a traditional education.

It essentially rules out the possibility of your taking a semester to study abroad, as you’ll run the risk of getting behind on those 15 credits.

And let’s say you hit your junior year and you realize you’re required to take a more challenging course. What if you want to keep a 12-hour schedule for those 15 weeks? This fee increase makes it extremely difficult for you to do so without having to pay $440 [or more] for another semester.

#KWfeeincrease

new TWTR.Widget({

version: 2,

type: ‘search’,

search: ‘#KWfeeincrease’,

interval: 6000,

subject: ”,

width: 240,

height: 300,

theme: {

shell: {

background: ‘#b8b8b8’,

color: ‘#66a9c5’

},

tweets: {

background: ‘#b8b8b8’,

color: ‘#444444’,

links: ‘#1985b5’

}

},

features: {

scrollbar: true,

loop: true,

live: true,

hashtags: true,

timestamp: true,

avatars: true,

toptweets: true,

behavior: ‘default’

}

}).render().start();

Let’s not even mention those of you wishing to graduate in three years, those of you who want to take one or two recreational classes, those of you who get behind on your 15 credits because of poor advising OR those of you who are required to add a minor or a concentration — you will be paying more if you want to graduate in four years, period.

“If you want dessert or an after-dinner drink, so to speak, if you bring it to the buffet line, if you want to take 25 credits, you would have to pay beyond the 17 hours next year,” Lefton said at the meeting.

When did wanting to take more courses, study abroad or just keep your head above water become synonymous with gluttony?

Look, we understand that the state is cutting funding for education. We understand that the university has to make up that loss somewhere.

But a 17-credit-hour plateau is just too low.

The above editorial is the consensus opinion of the Daily Kent Stater editorial board.