Our View: E-books may not be the answer, but it’s a start

DKS Editors

Each school year, college students spend between $100 and $850 on textbooks, depending on their major and classes.

Whether we have the funds or not, textbooks are a necessity for the majority of classes provided on every college campus.

Professors and administrators are aware of textbook expenses, and they have continued to search for a workable solution.

In the meantime, we try everything to find deals on the books we’ll need for the next four months. We search different websites — such as Amazon.com and Half.com — visit local bargain bookstores, and more recently, we’ve tried e-textbooks.

A recent study at Daytona State College found that students who tried e-textbooks only saved $1 and experienced technical difficulties with their purchases.

However, surveys conducted during the study show, that students are still looking for a resolution to the ever-present textbook problem and are willing to try e-textbooks again, despite the one dollar-difference.

The Daily Kent Stater’s editorial board looks at the results of this study in a positive way. One dollar isn’t much, and saving money is our main concern. But if we can download the required text for classes on our Nooks, iPads, Kindles or other e-readers, it would be convenient, simple and a step toward saving more paper. Additionally, it can possibly provide an opportunity to make the learning and teaching processes more interactive, and therefore, more effective.

Yes, textbook costs are still a major issue, and we’ll continue to have minor nervous breakdowns about it each semester, but it’s good to know that administrators are taking notice and are eagerly searching for a solution to the problem.

The above editorial is the consensus of the Daily Kent Stater editorial board.