Opinion: Subjectivity at its finest

Courtney Kerrigan

Courtney Kerrigan

Courtney Kerrigan is a senior magazine journalism major and

senior enterprise reporter for the

Daily Kent Stater. Contact her at

[email protected].

I’m supposed to be writing my opinion on college relationships; about making a relationship last in a time when it’s expected and often recommended to experiment with physical boundaries and discover who you are.

Your parents probably don’t tell you this, but every pseudo-soap opera-esque teen drama pushes it with its 30-something actors playing teenagers (and which I unabashedly love).

The thing is, though, every relationship is subjective (polygamists and polyandrous might be the exceptions). And I think I knew that all along in this endeavor I agreed to this semester. So to say that relationships are pointless or won’t last in college may hold some truth in some circumstances but can’t be backed by any real proof. Some relationships end after a few months and some relationships lead to marriage and kids and possibly even an affair and divorce.

It’s probably safe to say that high school is the time when relationships don’t last. People are too young to know the type of person they’re looking to devote themselves to for the next 60 years. Hell, they’re too young to understand the concept of a condom, apparently, which may explain the growing number of high school pregnancies.

But college students are reaching that age where they start thinking about finding “the one” and planning for the future, which may include kids and a mortgage and other entities that society tells us we must have by the time we’re 35, or younger.

And we should. Unless you plan on staying in college for 12 or more years to get a doctorate, after we enter college, on average, we only have four more years of schooling before we exit our structured lives and enter into our respective fields of study, if we’re lucky … and have really good recommendations.

So relationships in college are almost a must. It’s part of finding out who you are as an individual. I’m not saying if you’re not in a relationship, or haven’t been for a while, you need to run out and find a mate. Independence is important. But it’s also important to grow up and start planning your life, which includes having long-term relationships and not just one-night stands and awkward morning-afters.

What I’m learning in these semi-rebuttal opinion pieces is that no one can really say how guys think or girls think or how relationships should go or how to pursue someone. And in that, I’m learning more about myself.

So as I continue to write forthcoming columns, I’m putting that into account, as I should be doing, and be more subjective in my writing, rather than objective, which has been ingrained in my brain.

But like I said, I’m just writing this to give a woman’s perspective on issues that the guy on the page next to me discusses and seems to be a genius on.