LGBTQ+ Student Resources

With a five-star rating from the Campus Pride Index, Kent State University is extremely welcoming to the LGBTQ+ community. Here are some of the resources and groups available to students and allies on campus and in the surrounding area. 

Campus Resources 

● The LGBTQ+ Center, located in the basement of the Student Center, provides programming throughout the year, including a fall kickoff, spring Lavender Graduation and other social and educational events, many of which have been adapted to virtual platforms during the pandemic. The Center also has an informative website with resource databases, including financial resources like the LGBTQ+ Emergency Fund, a list of self-identified allies on campus and ally training sessions and an LGBTQ Library in its physical location. Students can also sign up for the LGBTQ listserv for the most up-to-date information.

LGBTQ+ Studies courses are a great way for allies and members of the LGBTQ+ community to become more educated about LGBTQ+ history, culture and theory, and often provides an opportunity to meet other like-minded students. The minor in LGBTQ+ Studies also opens additional scholarship opportunities. 

White Hall Counseling Center and psychological services at the Deweese Health Center provide mental health services. White Hall is free to all students, while Deweese is not. These resources are identified as LGBTQ+ friendly. 

The campus map available on the university’s website shows all of the locations on campus with gender-neutral bathrooms. 

● If a student wishes to reach out to a professor about their name and pronouns, this LGBTQ+ Center has an email template available on their website assistance. 

● Kent State’s housing website also provides a list of Kent’s gender-neutral housing program and how to participate. 

Student Organizations 

PRIDE! Kent is Kent State’s umbrella organization for the entire LGBTQ+ community, with meetings and social events. 

Fusion, a student-run publication, addresses LGBTQ+ current events and other relevant topics through online content and a yearly print issue. 

Threads hosts biweekly meetings and support for LGBTQ+ people of color, allies and other marginalized groups on campus. 

Trans*Fusion, a group for trans students and their allies, aims to provide support, community and education. 

● The QUEST mentorship program pairs students with LGBTQ+ adults for monthly mentorship sessions and provides professional development opportunities and education. 

Other Local Resources 

Townhall II offers mental health counseling, a medical clinic with HIV testing and a 24-hour help line for suicide prevention and intervention. 

CANAPI [Community AIDS Network/Akron Pride Initiative] hosts seminars, meetings and social events, as well as advocates for LGBTQ+ rights. 

PFLAG Kent [Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays] meets at the Kent United Church of Christ for community building and education. 

LGBTQ+ Friendly Healthcare 

Kent Planned Parenthood 

Akron Children’s Hospital Center for Gender Affirming Medicine 

Summa Health Pride Clinic 

MetroHealth Pride Network 

Students may also want to explore: 

The Ohio Legal Name Change Process 

ACLU Guide to Students’ Rights 

Human Rights Campaign’s Guide to LGBTQ+ Rights in Ohio 

Note: Many of these groups and services may be limited or offered virtually due to the pandemic. Please check their websites for full details.