Opinion: Campus food lines are out of control

Mike Crissman

I think I speak for most Kent State students when I say the addition of Subway and Damon’s to our campus is a good idea. And I think I speak for all Kent State students when I say the lines for both of them have been absolutely ridiculous.

The two restaurants are definitely upgrades from the previous ones. Subway is better than Quiznos in every way…and cheaper. It’s nice to finally have food prices on campus that reflect “real life” prices.

Five-dollar foot longs are actually $5. A foot-long sub from the Quiznos in the Student Center used to cost around $7 or $8…and they didn’t cut it in half. Even though our food plans are basically Monopoly money, it’s refreshing to pay for something at a reasonable price for a change.

I used to be Pete’s Arena’s number one fan. As a non-commuting sophomore held ransom to the 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. rule that only allowed commuters to purchase food in the HUB, Pete’s was my go-to place. However, after a series of poor pizzas toward the end of last semester, my loyalty began to wane. They even made the slimy, sloppy, good-for-nothing Rosie’s Pizza seem appealing.

So I welcome Pete’s replacement, Damon’s, with open arms. It’s probably the most expensive food on campus, but like I said earlier — it’s all monopoly money. The food there is nothing short of delicious. I had the “Game Winning” Burger, mozzarella sticks and fries from there a couple of hours ago, and it was easily the best meal I’ve had since coming to school here in Fall 2009.

So everything’s fine and dandy, right? Not exactly. As I said earlier, the lines at Damon’s and Subway are outrageously long.

Subway’s line is averaging two or three times the number of students Quiznos longest line ever had in the past. It routinely stretches past Ambrosia into the center aisle of the Hub. Damon’s line is just as nuts. Despite the tastiness, a wait that long just isn’t worth it to me. What student in their right mind wants to stand in a line for 30-45 minutes for food on a college campus?

It’s extremely inconvenient when you have only so much time to eat between classes or naps. I’ve only been able to enjoy each of the delectable restaurants one time each. I would have preferred to eat from them multiple times throughout the week, but the hundred or so students already in line ruined it for me.

I know it’s selfish of me to have my cake and eat it too, but seriously it’s not the Millennium Force at Cedar Point. It’s Subway. People act like they never had it before.

I’d suggest more students eat at other restaurants like Nathan’s or that sushi place, but they’re just not that good. Anyway, as long as Subway and Damon’s are around, what student in their right mind would?

Mike Crissman is a sophomore newspaper journalism major and columnist for the Daily Kent Stater. Contact him at [email protected].