Starting five for Kent State’s men’s basketball

Cody Erbacher

Justin Manns

Junior center

After redshirting last season due to NCAA transfer rules, the 6 foot 11 inch center is a long awaited post-player that will open up opportunities for Justin Greene down low, along with creating open shots for the guards.

Manns, who did not play organized basketball until his senior year at East Forsyth high school in North Carolina, gives the Flashes post-game an extra boost with his ability to block shots and gather rebounds over opponents.

Justin Greene

Junior forward

The 6 foot 8 inch forward was the only Kent State member named to the All-MAC Preseason First Team. He was the only player in the country to increase his numbers by more than 10 points, five rebounds and a full assist from the season before.

Greene, who was the only player to start in all 34 games, led Kent State with 13.6 points per and 6.9 rebounds per game and ranked fifth in the country with a +11.4 points per game scoring increase from his freshman to sophomore season.

Rod Sherman

Senior guard

Sherman, who was Kent State’s primary point guard last season, uses his ball-handling skills with the ability to burst past any defender can create easy shots for Kent State. Last season, Sherman averaged three assists a game and ranked 20th in the MAC in scoring with 10.6 points per game.

Michael Porrini

Junior guard

The 6 foot 2 inch junior transfer will fill the point guard position for the Flashes lineup. Prior to averaging 11.3 points, 5.2 rebounds, 3.3 assists and 1.9 steals per game at the Gulf Coast College last season, Porrini played 16 games for Western Carolina as a freshman.

Out of high school he was rated the fourth-best point guard in Ohio and the 15th-best prospect in the state.

Carlton Guyton

Junior guard

The junior averaged 15 points, 5.1 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 1.3 steals per game for Mineral Area College in Missouri. Through his first three games this season Guyton has shot a team-high eight 3-pointers.

Guyton’s shooting ability behind the arc gives him the opportunity to lead the Flashes in scoring at any point in the season.