RPA_05_Etzel_Airport

Spenser Etzel

Intro:

There could be some big changes happening at the Portage County Airport.

Some discussions took place last week in Shalersville Ohio where the airport is located.

TV2’s Spenser Etzel has the latest on these new developments for the airport.

Length: 02:00:00

CG:

Spenser Etzel (TV2 Reporter): 00:36:00

Karia Lanken (Resident of Shalersville): 01:04:00

John Trew (President of Portage County Airport Board): 01:30:00

NAT: Plane starting up

The Portage County Airport is looking to extend its runway another 5,000 feet over a period of ten years.

95% of the money needed to expand will come from grants from the Federal government, while the airport will need to match the other 5%. But the Federal Aviation Association will only give the grant if it feels the airport needs it.

To get the federal grant, studies will have to be done involving the effects the expansion will have on the environment.

The process will take place in increments. Land and hangars need to be purchased for this to happen.

STANDUP: IT’S STILL UNCLEAR WHETHER OR NOT THE AIRPORT WILL BE EXPANDING, IF IT DOES, IT WILL BE OVER A SPAN OF TEN YEARS. WHILE THERE ARE SOME WHO AGREE WITH THE EXPANSION, LAST WEEK THERE WAS A TOWN HALL MEETING WHERE A LOT OF SHALERSVILLE RESIDENTS SPOKE OUT AGAINST IT.

NAT: Town hall meeting

Some of the residents feel that the other towns around Portage County will be affected by the expansion economically, but they don’t see where Shalersville will benefit from it.

SOT (Lanken): A LOT OF THE BENEFITS THAT ARE GOING TO BE EXPERIENCED IF THIS PLAN GOES FORWARD, THEY’RE GOING TO BE EXPERIENCED IN RAVENNA AND STREETSBORO AND BY CITIZENS WHO AREN’T LISTENING TO THE INCREASED TRAFFIC AND DEALING WITH THE INCREASED NOISE AND POLLUTION.

John Trew, the president of the airport board, feels expanding the runway will bring more businesses to the area and Shalersville will grow from that.

SOT (Trew): THE EXPANSION IS ONE ECONOMIC TOOL FOR PORTAGE COUNTY. AND THE EXPANSION WILL ALLOW LARGER PLANES, MORE ECONOMIC CAPACITY OF PEOPLE WITH LARGE INDUSTRY WHO WILL WANT TO BRING PEOPLE IN AND OUT OF TOWN.

While the expansion is not coming anytime soon, John Trew believes it will happen.

SOT (Trew): I THINK IT WILL BE GREAT FOR THE ENTIRE PORTAGE COUNTY AS A WHOLE. AND I THINK THE PEOPLE THAT OPPOSE IT THE MOST, STAND TO BENEFIT THE MOST ALSO.

For TV2 News, I’m Spenser Etzel.

Tag:

The ten-year plan is a requirement from the FAA that needs to be met for the airport to be considered for the grant.

The airport is currently trying to purchase the land required for the expansion.