You’re only cheating yourself

DKS Editors

We have all seen the university’s policy regarding cheating and plagiarism in each syllabus we receive at the beginning of a semester. Some professors read the policy out loud during the first class; others assume students will look over it at some point.

And yet, despite the information provided and the possible sanctions, some students still plagiarize others’ work.

The university’s policy states plagiarism “includes, but is not limited to … the presentation of work prepared by another in final or draft form as one’s own without citing the source, such as the use of purchased research papers.”

Students have heard — or others have unfortunately done it themselves — of peers turning in plagiarized essays. The penalties for those who get caught by the instructor range from getting an “F” in the class to the revocation of their degree, if they had graduated.

Those who get away with their unethical actions will simply graduate, and they may forget about the incident.

However, upon graduation, both groups will face the real consequences.

Who will write the presentation the graduate may have to give to the marketing team of the company he or she works at? How will he or she explain the fact they can’t write their way out of a wet paper bag? Why do their e-mails make them appear to be illiterate?

A Google search for “free essays” provides more than 22 million results. Taking the easy way out in a project is just one click away. Don’t do it.

If you are trying to write a paper, get help and learn.

Go to your professor’s office hours. He or she may be able to orient you. Ask a friend to proofread your work. Buy or rent an APA stylebook. Visit the university’s Writing Commons on the fourth floor of the library.

The above editorial is the consensus opinion of the Daily Kent Stater editorial board whose members are listed to the left.