Our View: Every little bit helps

DKS Editors

It’s been just over a week since an earthquake with a magnitude of 7.0 struck Haiti, devastating the country.

A week later, the news coming out of Haiti remains disturbing. CNN reported last week that the estimated dead ranges anywhere from 30,000 to 100,000, and many more saw their homes destroyed by the quake and its aftershocks.

Across the world, countries are mobilizing efforts to send aid to Haiti. U.S. President Barack Obama pledged $100 million in support to Haiti, and other nations around the world are contributing hundreds of millions more.

Relief organizations, such as the Red Cross and UNICEF, are adding to the financial aid to Haiti. And celebrities are making efforts to send money to the devastated Caribbean nation.

But even with all that, there is still room for all of us to do our part to donate to Haitian relief efforts.

President Lester Lefton sent an e-mail last week asking students to donate money to the Red Cross and other relief organizations. And campus groups met Monday evening to discuss their own ways to send help to Haiti. They said they hope to raise $5,000 through their efforts, which include a donation table set up daily inside the Student Center.

We know times are tight for many students because tuition bills were due just two weeks ago. But every dollar that you can pledge to the Red Cross or another relief organization goes a long way to rebuilding Haiti.

The Red Cross has even set up a text-message donation system: By texting “Haiti” to 90999, a $10 donation is made to the Red Cross to help Haiti. The money is added to your phone bill at the end of the month.

And there are still ways to help even if you have absolutely no money to donate. The campus organizations that met Monday are also asking for donations of clothing, nonperishable food and other supplies. The groups are setting up collection boxes in halls and department offices.

If you have gently used clothing in your closet that you never wear and don’t plan to wear, you can donate that to the cause.

Just remember: Every little bit helps.

The above editorial is the consensus opinion of the Daily Kent Stater editorial board.