Concert brings KSU students together

Melissa Dilley

Amnesty International is using music to bring students together to take notice of human rights and campus activism.

The group is holding Jamnesty tonight at 8 p.m. in the Rathskeller. Admission is $3 or three canned goods.

The benefit concert features two solo artists, Aidan and Aaron, and the bands Bethesda, Like the Days and See Urchin.

In addition to the live music, students can view a film about the group and visit tables setup by other campus activist groups, including the Kent State Anti War-Committee, Habitat for Humanity, Women’s Liberation Movement and College Democrats.

Amnesty International member Thisanjali Gangoda said she hopes Jamnesty will become an annual event on campus like it has at other colleges including Ohio State, which has well-formed human rights groups.

“We have only been around for a couple of semesters, so we are hoping to gain a strong membership base through this concert.”

Gangoda said even students who aren’t interested in joining the group will benefit from attending the event.

“I hope students will understand that there are a lot of humanitarian events on campus,” she said, “.and even the smallest efforts will promote peace.”

All proceeds from the concert will benefit Portage County Family and Community Services.

-Melissa Dilley