Best of Kent: Coffee Shops

Bent Tree Coffee Roasters was voted third best coffee shop in Kent by community members and students that attend Kent State University. Bent Tree Coffee Roasters makes and produces their own blend of coffee and teas. They also sell it in their store. 

Tree City 

Tree City holds its title as Kent’s best coffee shop for the eighth year in a row.  Serving an abundance of pastries and drinks that accommodate even those who don’t like the taste of coffee, it is no wonder they attract such a diverse audience.

“Over the course of a day, it’s very interesting to see the different types of people that come in,” said the owner of Tree City Michael Beder. Tree City attracts everyone in Kent, from the students to the retirees. 

He explained that a large amount of success comes from the ideal location. “We’re so close to campus, but also in the heart of downtown,” said Beder.

Beder explained that the coffee shop has something for everyone with a wide range of drink options including sodas, frozen drinks, teas, cocktails and wines. The knowledgeable staff can help customers make the right choice.

Beder explained that they offer the welcoming atmosphere of a small business while maintaining attention to detail and time, like the larger chains, to give their customers the best of both worlds.

Bent Tree 

Kent’s original coffee shop makes the top three again. Scribbles opened in 2002 and is owned by Beth Budzar and Jenn Richards. 

This coffee shop has much to offer the residents and students who pass by. With a wide range of drink options and tasty treats, customers are encouraged to take a seat and stay awhile to enjoy the cozy atmosphere it has to offer. 

Not only can you take your coffee to go, but they also offer bags of fresh beans that customers can purchase and enjoy from the comfort of their own home.

Scribbles

Bent Tree holds importance in Kent due to its many valuable qualities. “We’re a coffee roaster which is really unique,” said Mike Mistur, co-owner and alumni of Kent State. The coffee is roasted and brewed in the shop which customers can enjoy fresh daily.

Mistur explained the shop prides itself on delivering quality to the customers by using local ingredients as much as possible. He explained that while using regionally sourced dairy can be a little bit more expensive, it is worth it for the value of the drink. 

Bent Tree also serves a large variety of pastries for their customers to enjoy which come from Brimfield Bread Oven. Mistur explained that the coffee shop has a welcoming environment that accommodates all types of people whether they are working, studying or socializing.

Theresa Lovrak covers downtown and construction. Contact her at [email protected]