College students move out of dorms amid COVID-19 pandemic

Thousands of college students across the country are being asked to move out of their dorms and return home to finish their semester through online classes.

As the number of COVID-19 cases reported across the country continues to climb, colleges and universities are suspending classes, extending spring breaks, and turning to remote instruction for the remainder of the semester.

More than 135 higher education institutions have canceled in-person classes as of March 13, according to Forbes. At least eight states, including Ohio, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia, have suspended all K-12 schools for extended periods.

At the University of Pittsburgh, students were assigned move-out dates starting March 13 through March 20. Those who move out of their dorms by the 20 will receive a 36% proration of housing and dining charges.

Other Pittsburgh schools like Point Park University and Carlow University have taken similar action against the spread of the virus. Duquesne University initially had plans to use remote learning through the end of March, but within days of that decision chose to move online for the remainder of the semester.

Western Pennsylvania saw its first confirmed COVID-19 case in Washington County on March 13. Ohio Department of Health Director Amy Acton that the state of Ohio has 13 confirmed cases and 159 people under investigation.

Just three days after declaring remote learning through April 13, Kent State announced the suspension of in-person classes would last through the end of the spring semester.

To stay up to date on the COVID-19 pandemic and how it’s affecting Kent State, be sure to follow TV2 and The Kent Stater’s full coverage at https://www.kentwired.com/coronavirus/, and @kentwired and @TV2KSU on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.

Maddy Haberberger is a TV2 reporter. Contact her at [email protected].