Winter weather poses challenges for commuter students

Luke Trupo, Reporter

Winter is in full effect, which means snowfall and ice are on the way and commuting students are prepared to deal with these conditions when going to class.

Kent State has an average of 21,000 undergraduate students attending classes during a semester, 74% of which are off-campus or commuter students.

The most difficult challenge that commuter students face when coming to class are the cold, snowy and slippery roads. These three conditions, if serious enough, can lead to the cancellation or delay of classes.

For some commuter students, these cancellation alerts are very important as their commutes can take over an hour. Sophomore visual communication design major Kate Karelina is one of the many students who travel over an hour to get to classes.

“I commute from Vermilion, Ohio, which is about an hour and 15 minutes away,” Karelina said. “I have to plan my day really well as I value my time here, I have at least three classes to attend and if one of them gets canceled, it really messes up my desire to drive.”

The university outlines their class cancellation guidelines and criteria on their website, which walks students through the class cancelation process. The website said that conditions of roadways and sidewalks leading to campus, and the university’s ability to shovel and salt parking lots are the key indicators of whether or not classes will be canceled.

The university sends out the cancellation through their FlashAlerts service, and states that all-day class cancellations and/or morning cancellations will be sent out around 5:30 a.m. the morning of. Students must also plan for the possibility of class cancellations while driving to classes.

Sophomore fashion design major Sam McPeters commutes 30 minutes from Green to attend his classes. Unlike other students, he has the ability to drive home during breaks or if classes are canceled.

“I have a five hour gap between classes on Mondays, so I drive here, drive home and then drive back, which is two hours right there,” McPeters said. “And if it’s snowing or anything, I’ll either stay home or do homework in the library.”

The commute to class can be a major headache when winter weather strikes, but getting to class from the parking lot can be even worse.

“At first I parked all the way at the Ice Arena and it was pretty much a 20 minute walk to my classes,” Karelina said. “My second semester I made sure I was efficient with my time and parked near the buildings where my classes were held.”

The National Weather Service predicts that Northeast Ohio will have temperatures above average with above average amounts of precipitation.

The winter brings a plethora of different weather, from high temperatures to a foot of snow, and there’s no predicting how it will go. The university is prepared for the weather that is thrown at us, and will do their best to clear any weather related issues.

Senior applied communication studies major Gavin Aitken is the current Undergraduate Student Government senator for off-campus and commuter students.

“Sometimes we are hit with two inches of snow so quickly, that the university is unable to call the snow plow companies in time,” Aitken said. “The university in general is doing their best to be able to manage the weather.”

Winter weather is uncontrollable and sometimes unpredictable. The best way to combat the weather is to be aware, keep your phone handy, leave with plenty of time to make it to class and understand that crews are doing their best to make sure you make it to campus safely.

“Everyone that works here at the university is human, everyone makes mistakes and everyone is doing their best, and they’re here to support you,” Aitken said.

Luke Trupo is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].