Turning back time: Porthouse Theatre stages ‘The Marvelous Wonderettes’

Aden Graves, Reporter

Porthouse Theatre, Kent State’s covered outdoor summer theatre located at Blossom Music Center, opened their second production of the season Saturday with “The Marvelous Wonderettes,” a jukebox musical comedy.

With a score full of classic 1950s and 1960s tunes, the show follows Springfield High School Songleaders Betty Jean, Cindy Lou, Missy and Suzy as they perform at their 1958 senior prom. The second act flashes forward to ten years later at their high school reunion.

Amy Fritsche, associate professor in the School of Theatre and Dance, is making her Porthouse debut as the director and choreographer of the show. She hopes that audience members enjoy themselves as they listen to old hits such as “Lollipop,” “Dream Lover” and “Stupid Cupid.”

“I just want the audience to have a great time,” Fritsche said. “The show is a wonderful mashup of top hits from the ‘50s and ‘60s. It will be a walk down memory lane for audience members.”

Fritsche, who will mark her 10th year teaching at Kent State next year, praised the cast and crew for their work on this production.

“The cast is amazing,” she said. “They are talented, hardworking and hilarious. It was a joy working with the crew. They are all so collaborative, and I know we turned out a strong product.”

Hannah Hall, a rising senior musical theatre major who plays Betty Jean, has been singing her entire life and performing in musicals since the sixth grade. She said her experience in the show has been both demanding and rewarding.

“The show has 30+ songs, and since there’s only four of us, we never leave the stage,” Hall said. “It’s the biggest, most challenging show I’ve ever been a part of, but it’s so fun and so rewarding.”

Hall said her favorite part of the show has been becoming close with her other castmates.

“Small casts are always fun because you make such a close bond, and we all just love and support each other so much,” she said.

Porthouse Theatre’s “The Marvelous Wonderettes” will run June 30 through July 15 at Porthouse Theatre in Akron.

Aden Graves is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].