Second-half surge propels field hockey over Ball State

Brittany Lucia
Kent State Women’s Field Hockey vs. Ohio University at Murphy-Mellis Field on Sept. 22, 2023.

Kent State field hockey secured its second Mid-American Conference win on Saturday against Ball State for a final score of 4-2. 

The Flashes moved their record to 3-7 overall and 2-1 overall in the MAC, sitting in fourth place. 

Ball State has an overall record of 5-5 and 2-1 in the MAC, tied with Kent State, Appalachian State, and Ohio University.

KSU had 24 total shots, with 13 of them on goal. Ball State only had 10, with five of them on goal. Kent State had six corner kicks compared to Ball State’s three. 

The first quarter opened up with Ball State getting the early 1-0 on a penalty corner. Kent State tried to get things going early, outshooting BSU in the first quarter 5-2. 

The score would remain 1-0 for the rest of the half as both teams went scoreless in the second quarter. At the half, KSU led in shots (9-3) and corners (3-2). 

The score would stay at 1-0 in the third quarter until two minutes in, freshman midfielder Eva Usoz Diaz tied the game up at one with the assist from senior forward Katie Wuerstle.

Usoz has six goals on the season.  

Ball State would respond by converting on another penalty corner to take a 2-1 lead in the third quarter. The Flashes had their own response, with sophomore forward Patricia Strunk scoring to keep the game tied at two for her first on the year. 

In the final minutes, KSU got a penalty stroke with sophomore back Iris Bekker executing on a goal to give Kent State the lead, going up 3-2. A minute later, Wuerstle had herself a goal and brought the lead to 4-2.

Ball State beat Kent State in saves (9-3), and no fouls were committed by either team. 

Staying Away

The Flashes will stay on the road, traveling to Boone, North Carolina, against Appalachian State, looking to improve their road record and get their second win in a row. 

ASU has 128 shots this season, with 67 of those shots on goal. Appalachian State averages two goals per game, having 22 goals this season. 

Opponents have scored 23 goals against the Mountaineers on 126 shots. 

App State is 7-4 overall but has a 1-2 record at home. 

Game time is Friday at 3 p.m.