International Student and Scholar Services hosts first Cultural Cafe

Attendees at the first Cultural Cafe of the semester enjoyed cultural presentations and samples of authentic Mexican cuisine, Sept. 18, 2019. 

Kent State’s Cultural Cafe has much more to offer than your average cafe.

Hosted by the International Student and Scholar Services at the Office of Global Education, the presentations at the event focused on Mexico and the Mexican Border.  

People from rich Hispanic heritage to those with no Hispanic foreground enjoyed two speeches, a literal taste of Mexican cuisine and a Q&A about each speaker’s heritage at the end of the event. 

More than forty people attended the first Cultural Cafe of the semester where Benjamin Fregoso and Claudia Vanessa Garcia gave presentations about their Mexican heritage and culture. 

In between the speeches there was a break where attendees were invited to try samples of authentic Mexican cuisine.

Angelia Zielke, event coordinator of International Student and Scholar Services explained, “the speakers choose what food we (would) be having during our break.”

“One of the recipes we will be having is my mother’s recipe,” said Garcia.

Felicia Edlridge, a senior advertising major and first-time attendee of the Cultural Cafe, said, “I’m from a very Hispanic part of Chicago so it feels like a part of me.”

Those who missed out on today’s event can attend the next Cultural Café on Oct. 23.

With the U.S./Mexico border dividing us, the speakers explained what unites the two countries.  

“Some people ask if I am American or Mexican,” Garcia said. “And I always respond: Both.”

Contact Terry Lee III at [email protected]