Burnin’ down: Football drops out of bowl contention with fifth-straight loss

Senior+linebacker+Khali+Saunders+%2845%29%2C+graduate+student+safety+Bryce+Sheppert+and+sophomore+defensive+lineman+Oliver+Billotte+celebrate+around+fellow+senior+linebacker+C.J.+Harris+%2837%29+after+a+Harris+tackle-for-loss+in+the+first+quarter+of+the+Kent+State+vs.+Buffalo+football+game+on+Oct.+21%2C+2023.++
Cadie Pierce
Senior linebacker Khali Saunders (45), graduate student safety Bryce Sheppert and sophomore defensive lineman Oliver Billotte celebrate around fellow senior linebacker C.J. Harris (37) after a Harris tackle-for-loss in the first quarter of the Kent State vs. Buffalo football game on Oct. 21, 2023.

Kent State football came into Saturday’s game ranked the second-worst team in the nation, according to CBS Sports’ “Bottom 25” rankings article published Oct. 17.

Only a winless Nevada is ranked below KSU, and Akron was five spots above the Flashes.

Saturday, the Flashes collected their seventh loss of the season – removing the possibility of participating in a bowl game in the postseason. The loss came at the hands of the University of Buffalo in a 24-6 defeat in the Homecoming game at Dix Stadium.

Redshirt junior quarterback Michael Alaimo throws off Buffalo safety Marcus Fuqua, while sophomore wide receiver Chrishon McCray looks to block another player downfield during the Kent State vs. Buffalo football game on Oct. 21, 2023. (Cadie Pierce)

It is the team’s fifth loss in a row and seventh out of eight games played this season.

Coach Kenni Burns said the team simply “didn’t get it done” against the Bulls.

“We did everything we possibly could have, and as coaches, we have to keep putting them in situations to win and make sure we are doing everything we possibly can to give them a chance,” he said. “We’re on to the next one – we’ll feel a little disappointed today, then we have to move on. We have to go back, regroup, and get ready for Monday.”

The team has scored six points three times this season and 10 points or less in five games – which is more than half of the games played.

The bottom of the Mid-American Conference East remains the same, with Akron and Kent State in a tie for last place, following the Zips’ loss to Bowling Green. Both teams have 1-7 overall and 0-4 conference records.

Buffalo’s (3-5) win put the team into a tie with Ohio University and Miami for first place in the MAC East. Each share 3-1 conference records.

“We have four games left, and now we have to find a way to have fun, enjoy each other and find ways to win and build this program into the future,” Burns said.

Same old story

The game started the Flashes’ way in the first quarter. 

The team took its second drive 60 yards and ended it with a 38-yard field goal from junior kicker Andrew Glass, making the score 3-0.

It took two plays for KSU to get the ball back, and it was done so on an interception by sophomore defensive lineman Stephen Daley in UB territory.

Kent State rush ends coach CJ Robbins speaks with the football team during the homecoming game on Oct. 21, 2023. (Brittany Lucia)

Kent State turned that into three more points on a 37-yard field goal by Glass.

This game marked the fourth time this season Glass had been the only contributor to every point Kent State scored. He has made 10 of his 11 field goal attempts and has not missed an extra point attempt.

KSU held a 6-0 lead 10 and a half minutes into the game but would surrender the following 24 unanswered points.

Buffalo scored before the quarter ended, taking a 7-6 lead on a two-yard touchdown pass from graduate student Cole Snyder to junior tight end Andrew Schnackenberg. It was Snyder’s 12th touchdown pass of the season.

UB added a one-yard rushing touchdown by fifth-year running back Ron Cook, Jr. in the second quarter to extend its lead to 14-6 going into the half.

The Bulls added 10 more points to its score in the second half, while the Flashes went silent offensively.

The points came from graduate student kicker Alex McNulty’s 53-yard field goal and a two-yard rushing touchdown from sophomore Al-Jay Henderson, finalizing the 24-6 score.

Burns used two quarterbacks at different times throughout the game.

Redshirt junior Mike Alaimo got the start, and sophomore backup Tommy Ulatowski came in shortly after.

The quarterbacks combined for 78 passing yards on 12-26 passing (46% completion), and Ulatowski threw an interception.

“It comes down to playing pitch and catch when you’re throwing the ball – we had a lot of balls all over the place,” Burns said. “They have to be more accurate, and we have to put them in situations to throw high-percentage passes. On offense, we have to look at everything we’re doing. We definitely have the ability, but we have to make sure we’re put into situations to make successful plays.”

Kent State Football vs. University of Buffalo on Oct. 21, 2023. (Brittany Lucia)

Ulatowski left the game late in the fourth quarter after taking “a rib shot” on a run, but there was no update on his health.

Burns said neither quarterback has “run away with the job” yet.

“That’s probably the bigger problem,” he said. “They’re still competing, and I have faith in Mike and Tommy – they just have to play better.”

KSU ended the game with more rushing yards than passing yards, due in large part to Jaylen Thomas’ effort.

The redshirt senior ran the ball 17 times for 65 yards, a 3.8 yards/carry average.

“We have to keep developing the run game and keep us in games and minimize the mistakes in the run game,” Burns said. “We had too many mistakes, and they got us behind schedule, but that’s who we want to be, and we’re growing, and our offensive line is getting better at that.”

Redshirt freshman Chrishon McCray continued to be an efficient receiver, catching five balls for 52 yards and leading the team in both categories.

The defense was led by graduate student safety Bryce Sheppert, who contributed 11 total tackles, and Daley, who had two tackles and an interception.

Burns said the defense is “playing at a high level” despite the loss.

“They’re definitely growing, and they’re fighting and clawing no matter what the offense is doing,” he said. “They just have to keep building on it and keep playing for each other – they’re getting tighter and more connected as a group.”

Kent State’s 164 yards of total offense are the lowest this season, and the team has not thrown 78 passing yards or less since Nov. 20, 2021, where quarterbacks Dustin Crum and Collin Schlee combined for 66 passing yards in a 38-0 victory over Akron.

The KSU defense did not record a sack, keeping them at seven team sacks through eight games played.

Looking back

Burns described the first season of the “Kent GRIT” era as “about what I thought it was.” GRIT stands for “Grow, Respond with Integrity Together.”

“I didn’t really have expectations for myself,” he said. “The one thing that I haven’t dealt with is a divided locker room. I’ve dealt with really good, young players and good leadership, and everyone can see that in the locker room.”

His tenure has started slow, as the first-time coach lost seven of his first eight games.

Burns became the 23rd head coach in program history in Dec. 2022 and inherited a team that returned only two starters and was selected to finish last in the MAC East in the MAC Football Head Coaches Preseason Poll.

Kent State junior Andrew Glass kicks the ball downfield during the homecoming game against Buffalo on Oct. 21, 2023. (Brittany Lucia)

At the beginning of the season, Burns highlighted players who will become leaders and play in elevated roles – among them being sophomore running back Gavin Garcia and Daley.

Garcia leads the team in carries (96) and rushing yards (374) and has contributed two rushing touchdowns as the team’s starting running back.

Daley, a team captain, has totaled 24 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, five quarterback hits, one fumble recovery and one interception as a first-time starter.

Other team leaders who have presented themselves are redshirt senior linebacker Devin Nicholson and McCray, who leads the team in receptions (35) and receiving yards (449) and has recorded two receiving touchdowns.

Nicholson leads the team in tackles (53) and adds 4.5 tackles for loss, one fumble recovery and one pass breakup.

Burns noted the importance of leadership in a primarily young team.

“The leadership has been the biggest thing that I have been so impressed with on our football team,” he said. “They’re like, ‘We’ll come back and try again next week.’ That is what you want, and typically, in the first year, you don’t get that.”

Despite the recent losses, Burns wants to instill the “Kent GRIT” philosophy into his players.

“They know it is going to take a little time because it is such a different philosophy than what they had before,” he said. “It’s something that connects everyone – it’s about everybody. It has been a great experience. I should be down and out, and I’m just not because I love that locker room, and I know they’ve given everything they can to this football team.”

Looking ahead

Kent State will take the week off before traveling to Akron for midweek MACtion. The Flashes will battle for the Wagon Wheel, a trophy they’ve held for four years, on Nov. 1.

Akron is tied for last with KSU in the MAC East, with a 1-7 overall and 0-4 conference record. The Zips are coming off six consecutive losses.

Kent State is 28-35-2 all-time against Akron, splitting the last 10 matchups.

Kent State sophomore Stephen Daley celebrates with fellow teammates after a play during the game against Buffalo on Oct. 21, 2023. (Brittany Lucia)

Kickoff will be at 7:00 or 7:30 p.m. at InfoCision Stadium.

Burns is keeping an optimistic tone, saying the team has to “keep going back to the process” to finish out the season.

“I am not looking at the result – I am looking if we’re making growth,” he said. “We’ve made a lot of growth on defense, and the young guys on offense are all learning at different times. They’re just learning and growing, and eventually they’ll be able to handle whatever they’re seeing, but they’re not there yet.”

John Hilber is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].