Kent Interhall Council kicks off Sex Week with ‘Sex Week Ho Down’

Kent Interhall Council hosted the “Sex Week Ho Down” in the Student Center Ballroom, putting a western-theme to sex related topics Monday evening. 

Nearly 100 attendees participated among a wide-range of activities from photo booths to a mechanical bull, along with raffles and a buffet laid out with various food options. 

Shaine Price, director of community development for Kent Interhall Council and a sophomore environmental conservation biology major, said the intention of Sex Week is to inform students about safe sex practice and reduce the stigma around the related subjects.  

“Well, the point of Sex Week is to help raise awareness about safe sex practice and make it less taboo to speak about,” Price said. “So, I’d say that is also to have fun, and to create more of a homey atmosphere amongst our students.” 

Price said the event is about having fun and enjoying yourself. 

Samuel Lewis, a junior music major, said attending the event was an avenue he used to take a break from his assignments. 

“So, just a little bit of fun, a little bit of distraction from the stresses of classes and stuff,” he said. 

Lewis said what appeals to him the most about these events is that KIC hosts attractive events students can attend. Additionally, he is impressed by the capabilities the organization has to host these types of events. 

“They are really good at hosting events,” Lewis said. “I’m surprised to see like the level that they go to with some of these events.” 

Ethan Stoelt, a freshman fashion design major, said these events are good for the campus community. 

“I think it’s really good to get connected with your school,” Stoelt said. “I think some community, some fun, I think it’s always nice, especially on a Monday night.” 

Along with the mechanical bull and other wide variety of activities that were available, the free food and admission appealed to students. 

“The food [options] – a great draw,” Stoelt said. “I’m glad that it’s free.” 

Sex Week will take place from Oct. 23 to Oct. 27, and looks to engage students with sex-related topics. 

“If you get a chance, go out and check some of the events out because it seems like this is gonna be a lot of fun for this week,” Lewis said.

MinJee Yoo is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].

Skylar Edington is a TV2 reporter. Contact her at [email protected].